SSD locked HELP

SOLVED
JEDEC Jedi

Re: SSD locked HELP

Sorry it took me so long to respond back to you, but I've been very busy the last couple of days and I was experimenting with an old hard drive and my original idea will not work.

I found some other posts regarding locked SSDs when using the MSI Secure Erase+ built into the motherboard so you are not alone with this problem. 

I do not believe we can do a PSID revert on the BX300, but check the label on your SSD anyway.   Do you see a line beginning with "PSID:" ?  If you see "PSID", then let me know so I can instruct you on how to do a PSID revert on the drive which would be much easier than the following steps.

Assuming the MSI motherboard is the cause of this problem, we can try to guess the password it used to lock your drive during the failed Secure Erase.  You should connect the SSD with your USB adapter.   After issuing commands with some incorrect passwords, you will need to unplug the drive and plug it back in.

Please use the same procedure as last time when you posted the screenshot of the SSD's security settings to boot the Linux drive and install the necessary software.   After  installing "hdparm",  you can continue with the following steps:

The first command is going to identify your BX300 SSD and store it so we can reference the drive using "$ssd".  

ssd=$(sudo hdparm -I /dev/sd{a..c} | grep -i "CT120BX300SSD1"  -B3 | head -c 8)

Enter the following command:

sudo hdparm -I "$ssd" 

Make sure it shows information about your BX300 SSD and only for your SSD.   If it does not, then check to make sure you entered the first command correctly.  Once the information appears correctly, then you may proceed.

Now we will try some common passwords MSI might have used during their Secure Erase +.   If it is successful you should see it print out "Issuing SECURITY DISABLE command", otherwise try the next command.

sudo  hdparm  --user-master  u   --security-disable  NULL  "$ssd"

sudo  hdparm  --user-master  u   --security-disable  msi  "$ssd"

sudo  hdparm  --user-master  u   --security-disable  MSI  "$ssd"

sudo hdparm --user-master u --security-disable password "$ssd"

sudo hdparm --user-master u --security-disable PASSWORD "$ssd"

Now unplug your SSD and reconnect it.   

Note: On the next command there are exactly 32 spaces between the quotes immediately after "--security-disable".

sudo  hdparm  --user-master  u   --security-disable  "                                "  "$ssd"

sudo hdparm --user-master u --security-disable PWD "$ssd"

sudo hdparm --user-master u --security-disable pwd "$ssd"

sudo hdparm --user-master u --security-disable Eins "$ssd"

Now unplug your SSD and reconnect it again.

Note:  On the next two commands there are exactly 32 characters between the quotes.  There are 10 "msi" plus an extra "ms" to make 32 characters.  The second command is the same except MSI is in upper case.

sudo  hdparm  --user-master  u   --security-disable  "msimsimsimsimsimsimsimsimsimsims"  "$ssd"

sudo  hdparm  --user-master  u   --security-disable  "MSIMSIMSIMSIMSIMSIMSIMSIMSIMSIMS"   "$ssd"

After trying them all, issue one final command to see if the SSD is unlocked:

sudo  hdparm  -I  "$ssd"  |  grep -i  ^security  -A4  |  tail  -n2

If you see:

not      enabled
     not      locked

Then it was a success.  If you only see:

enabled

then it did not work.  The only two options left to you are trying to get an RMA exchange from Crucial or contact MSI Tech Support directly to resolve the issue since it was their motherboard which locked and bricked your SSD.

Please let us know how you make out.

Kilobyte Kid

It does not work yet it's still blocked Smiley Sad

Kilobyte Kid

I have the same problem, anyone knows how to fix it? Smiley Frustrated

JEDEC Jedi

@kernelfreeze  We need more information about your situation including which SSD, computer, OS, encryption, etc.  you have and what led up to the locked SSD.

Highlighted
Crucial Employee

@luisdavid429 @kernelfreeze have either of you actually reached out to MSI directly? It looks like their motherboard has enabled an ATA lock on the drives. This can only be removed by resetting the lock through the motherboard interface, or hdparm commands as @HWTech has mentioned. There are also some 3rd party programs you can find online that remove "ATA passwords" using an automated version of hdparm command lines. 

Just looking at the manual for the MSI H310M PRO-VH board there is zero mention of "Secure" or "Secure Erase" in their literature, searching the term online only brings up this form post. I find it odd MSI would put an in house secure erase feature on their boards which has the potential brick drives and provide no information about it online. You really need to talk to them directly about this feature.

PSID revert is only for when hardware encryption has been configured, seeing as the BX series don't have a AES 256 bit hardware encryption controller PSID will not work on them.

I know this doesn't help in the situation right now, but I would never use any secure erase feature or program that isn't explicitly supported by the drive manufacture, unless you are very confident in what you are doing. There is a potential for 3rd party secure erase programs to either add unnecessary erases to the drive, or worse lock the drive up entirely. Our Storage Executive software has a secure erase functionality which is very simple to use and works on all of our drives, it however can not be run when an ATA password lock is in place, this is true of every drive that follows ATA protocols.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

FYI,  The ATA Secure Erase procedure requires an ATA password is set on the drive being erased.  Once the Secure Erase completes successfully, the password will be removed automatically by the drive.   However, if the ATA Secure Erase fails or is interrupted, then the drive will remain locked unless the software  which initiated the process (in this case the motherboard BIOS) is smart enough to check for error conditions and remove the password.   If you were not prompted for a password during the Secure Erase+ procedure, then MSI would have used its own password which does not appear to be documented.  It appears the MSI motherboard Secure Erase+ feature does not take into account the process could fail leaving the drive locked.    I see no reason why MSI cannot provide the password used for the Secure Erase+ as it should be just a temporary password used for this procedure.  If MSI provides a password, the steps I outlined earlier should allow the drive to be unlocked and made usable again.   As Crucial_Benny suggested contacting MSI directly through official support channels would be best.  Don't rely on the MSI forums to help you in this instance.  You want to open an official support ticket with MSI via phone, chat or e-mail.  

One way to prevent an SSD from being permanently locked would be to assign it a Master ATA password before the drive is accidentally locked.  However, I do not know if a master ATA password will affect the boot process.   Once a master password is assigned there is no way to remove it, though you can change it.   

Kilobyte Kid

Thank you very much everyone for your help, in the end the effective solution that helped me recover my SSD, the first thing I did was erase the bios (or reset it by clear CMOS), after I went to the Erase easy + function again and told me that to unlock the ssd should give "yes", but it did not work, so I asked MSI directly and they gave me a solution to UPDATE the BIOS to a more recent version, after doing this I went back to the function and I could CORRECT the error, the disk came out as READY (before it was blocked), so the SOLUTION was to have updated the BIOS of the motherboard, then I installed windows 10 and everything worked normal, after 1 month I was able to recover my disco, thank you very much everyone, see you

JEDEC Jedi

@luisdavid429 Thank you very much for updating the post with a solution.  I'm glad you are able to use your SSD again.

Crucial Employee

Wow a BIOS update did the trick? I would have never thought of that, glad MSI appears to be aware of the problem and knows the update will fix it.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Wow, that also worked for me! Good thing you shared the solution, MSI support in my case did not help me