SSD mx200 Bad, not format

Kilobyte Kid

SSD mx200 Bad, not format

Hi everyone, i have a ssd Crucial mx200 500gb,  ct500mx200ssd1, i stil detect on my PC, but i cant format or write data, i use software Crystal Info, and said " BAD" -reallocated-sectors-count

how can i do, and i'm in Vietnam, i dont have any brand Crucial for warranty.

thanks you

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: SSD mx200 Bad, not format

First you should make sure the SSD firmware is up to date.   The latest version for the MX200 is MU04.   You should be able to get the firmware revision from Crystal Disk Info.   

I would also suggest performing a Secure Erase on the SSD.   In addition to quickly erasing the SSD, it also tends to reset it and sometimes will fix other issues with the SSD.  Even if the firmware update resolves your issue, I would still suggest performing a Secure Erase since you were going to reformat it anyway.  Please keep in mind a Secure Erase will remove all formatting & data from the SSD.

Unless you have another bootable Windows system you can temporarily install the SSD in or you are familiar with Linux, then the easiest way to perform a Secure Erase is by using Parted Magic.  If you need assistance with performing a Secure Erase with Windows or Linux, please ask.

Good luck.   If you are able to resolve the issue, please update this thread so others may benefit.

Kilobyte Kid

i  boot to windows in other SSD, and i used Crucial Storerage Exc, but it cant run when i check update firmware and Secure SSD, it said The media has not write .....

JEDEC Jedi

In order to update the firmware or perform a Secure Erase on an SSD, it needs to be connected to an internal SATA or M.2 controller.    An eSATA connection  will also work for a Secure Erase although I forget if it can also be used for updating the SSD firmware.  The internal SATA controller also needs to be configured for AHCI mode in order to update the firmware.

If your computer & SSD are using hardware encryption you may need to disable it first.   You can also disable hardware encryption on your SSD by using the Crucial Storage Executive software and performing a PSID reset (you will of course also need to disable or reset the TPM on the original computer before reinstalling the OS).   I don't have much experience with hardware based encryption so I'm not sure what can & cannot be done when it is enabled.  It is also possible you could have some other security features enabled that might interfere  as well.

FYI,   your uploaded picture is not visible yet since the moderators have not approved it yet.  I'll check on it later.

Kilobyte Kid

thanks, i am waiting for your help

JEDEC Jedi

Your other post which appeared to have a couple of pictures was never approved and now no longer appears to be pending approval.

Have you tried the suggestions in my last post by making sure the MX200 is connected to an internal controller and the SSD was not using hardware encryption?   Do you still have the same problem updating the firmware or performing a Secure Erase after trying the previous suggestions?

Also is this a SATA SSD, an M.2 or an NVME SSD?

Kilobyte Kid

this is sata 2.5"