SSD not bootable

Kilobyte Kid

SSD not bootable

Hello, a while ago i bought a crucial bx 300 120gb for a computer I was building for my brother. I tried to install on my PC to test it, and I failed to install it, i tried for two days to solve the problema that i could not boot the computer with de ssd, my guess was that my computer was not compatible because it is a little old. So the new computer comes in and the same problem happened. I installed win 10 on the ssd, but it can't boot. Is the only storage device on the computer, tried to set the bios different, it didn't work.

I need a solution please.

Here some images of the problem, and the bios, it does recognize the ssd, but it doesn't boot. 

1 Reply
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: SSD not bootable

What version of Win10 did you install?

Is the system set up for CSM/Legacy MBR booting or UEFI booting?  From your screenshots it appears the motherboard thinks it is booting Windows in Legacy mode, but I could be wrong since I'm not familiar with how non-OEM motherboards present the boot options.  (I'm hoping to change this later this year with my first custom build in years. Smiley Very Happy )

Boot your Win10 installer and get a command prompt.  Use Diskpart to list the drive partitioning information.   What type of partitioning scheme is being used on the SSD (GPT or MBR/DOS)?  I'm wondering if you might have booted the Win10 installer in one mode and the BIOS/UEFI settings are not set properly for it or they are configured for both and things got confused during the install.  If Win10 was installed in UEFI mode (partitions are using GPT layout), then make sure the BIOS settings are configured for UEFI.  If UEFI booting is being used, the motherboard needs to point to the proper "bootx64.efi" file on the EFI/ESP partiton (small FAT partition).  I personally try to configure all systems for UEFI only mode to minimize issues as this is the way things are moving, but this could involve a complete reinstall.

There is a small chance that you could run the Automatic Startup Repair from the Windows installer (select "Repair this computer", then Troubleshooting --> Advanced) and it might put the other bootloader on the drive.   If you enter the BIOS boot menu during POST, you may be able to select how to boot the Windows installer.  If you know from the partitioning layout it is GPT, then you want to make sure the Windows installer boots using the UEFI boot option from the BIOS boot menu you bring up during POST.  If the automatic startup repair doesn't work, then you can try selecting the Windows installer Legacy/MBR boot option from the BIOS boot menu you bring up during POST and try it again.  The bootloader Windows installs is most likely based on how the Win10 installer boots (and possibly the configuration of the drive).  Try to set the BIOS/UEFI settings to match the partitioning scheme of the drive (GPT or MBR) when you attempt this repair.

If booting in Legacy/MBR mode, make sure the "System" partition is marked as "Active" or "bootable" in Diskpart.   

If these items don't work and your motherboard was configured for both CSM & UEFI, then I would try starting over by setting the motherboard to UEFI only mode (disable CSM/Legacy options).  In the Windows installer, open a command prompt (Shift + F10) and run Diskpart and "clean" the drive before selecting the drive for the Windows installation.  This is critical as most systems will not change the partitioning scheme between MBR & GPT when erasing or recreating partitions unless the drive is completely blank.