SSD not cloning

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

SSD not cloning

Hi: I just bought a 550GB 2.5" SSD drive. I have Acronis 2018 and tried to clone to the new drive using the USB 3 SATA to USB I bought with the drive. The first time, I did it within W10 on my new Dell OptiPlex 7050. The plan is to replace the existing SATA drive. After the cloning process started, there were no notifications and the app disappeared entirely. Lights on the new drive continued to occasionally blink but, after about 16 hours (with only 125 of data and 500GB SATA ==> 500 GB SSD) I shut down and disconnected the drive. I then tried again using the Acronis Boot USB though had problems figuring out how to get UEFI to boot to a USB. Several times I got an error: "unable to lock dynamic disk. Boot computer from linux-based bootable media and try again." 

After several tries, I was able to choose Source then target disk then clicked on Proceed. Finally appeared to be working and fairly quickly. But at 20 minutes when it was close to complete, I got a series of errors: "Failed to write data to the disk. Failed to write to sector '1,376,040' of hard disk '1'. Failed to write the snapshot manager volume. (0x1000D3. Unknown status. (0x9) Access is denied." 

I ran the windows app of chkdsk, which showed no errors on the drive but have not done the command line or /R.

Was it a mistake to use my existing Acronis Clone utility? Is there a difference in the one you make available?

Should I now reformat, initialize the SSD drive and try again as a clone or from a full backup set I have?

Try different clone software?

Thanks for any help anyone here can offer!

George

Tags (3)
9 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: SSD not cloning

First thing you should do is check the SMART attributes on your original hard drive.  You can do this with GSmartControl (they have a portable version so you don't have to install it).   Post a picture of the attributes and check to see if any errors are listed (click on the "Error" tab).   You could also post for your SSD as well if you want since it seems like Acronis might have had trouble saving the files to the destination or it had a permissions issue.  Don't trust the general status as it is not 100% accurate for some types of failures and some drives.

As for using a bootable Acronis USB drive, on a Dell just press F12 during POST and it should present you with a boot menu.  Make sure the USB drive is already plugged in beforehand.  Sometimes you may need to warm restart the computer to give it extra time to power the USB drive and to communicate with it.   I've also found many USB flash drives to be faulty as boot devices.   Try attatching it to a USB2 only port if it doesn't work on a USB3 port.  The first section of the Dell BIOS boot menu usually lists legacy boot options, the second section will usually be labeled UEFI and will list any UEFI boot devices or what has been stored in the BIOS.  You may need to enter the BIOS/UEFI settings and disable Secure Boot in order to boot your Acronis USB drive.

If your source drive is failing, then Acronis may not be able to handle the errors (most software has problems when a drive is failing).  

Kilobyte Kid

Hi and thanks for reply. I ran the gsmart utility and under errors, got "no errors logged'. At the suggestion of Crucial tech, I used the Crucial Acronis utility -- zapping my 2018 install -- and ran clone under windows. I started it as Admin and it seemed to be going ok, then got an error message (log below). Before this latest attempt, I had cleaned the previously created partitions and started from a uninitialized ssd. I've done two previous SATA ==> SSD clones with no problems. Difference here is Windows 10 and UEFI bios. Could either of those make a difference? Some level of security when running from windows? I've not yet tried again to run from Acronis USB.

Any ideas much appreciated!

11/29/2018 2:00:29 PM: Operation Clone Disk started.
11/29/2018 2:00:29 PM: Operation description: Clone Disk 1. Clearing disk Hard disk: 2
2. Clearing disk Hard disk: 2
3. Clearing disk Hard disk: 2
4. Copying partition Hard disk: 1 -> 2 Drive letter: - File system: FAT32 Volume label: ESP Size: 499 MB
5. Copying partition Hard disk: 1 -> 2 Drive letter: C: File system: NTFS Volume label: OS Size: 464.7 GB
6. Copying partition Hard disk: 1 -> 2 Drive letter: - File system: NTFS Volume label: WINRETOOLS Size: 450 MB -> 449 MB
7. Copying MBR Hard disk: 1 -> 2
11/29/2018 2:01:39 PM: Pending operation 52 started: 'Clearing disk'.
11/29/2018 2:01:39 PM: Pending operation 14 started: 'Copying partition'.
11/29/2018 2:02:11 PM: Pending operation 14 started: 'Copying partition'.
11/29/2018 2:03:48 PM: Error 0x101f6: A format/resize error.
11/29/2018 2:03:48 PM: Pending operation 14 started: 'Copying partition'.
11/29/2018 2:03:49 PM: Error 0x101f6: A format/resize error.
11/29/2018 2:03:49 PM: Pending operation 61 started: 'Copying MBR'.
11/29/2018 2:04:38 PM: Error 0x13c0005: Operation has completed with errors.

Start: 11/29/2018 2:00:29 PM
Stop: 11/29/2018 2:04:38 PM
Total Time: 00:04:09

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Please provide a screenshot of the SMART Attributes from GSmartControl for your old drive.

It appears your drive is set up for UEFI booting since it has the ESP partition on the drive, so I don't know why Acronis is copying the MBR area as that should not be used on your system (probably an oversight on the part of Acronis).   It also appears it had to slightly shrink your WINRETOOLS partition.   

I'm thinking the original drive has some bad sectors and Acronis isn't handling it well so when it copies the partition it is losing data and thinking the partition is the wrong size (just a guess).  I'll know more after seeing a screenshot of the SMART Attributes.   FYI, the Error tab in GSmartControl sometimes will show errors that the SMART Attributes don't show.  It is rare, but it happens from time to time.  The SMART Attributes are the best source of information about the drive.   You may as well provide the SMART Attributes for the new SSD as well just in case.

I haven't really used Acronis so I don't know much about it.  I wouldn't think it would have a problem if your drives are both working without errors even for Win10 & UEFI.   You could try turning off Secure Boot if it is enabled.  It should not hurt anything to turn it off now and then re-enable it later after the clone.

Is your Windows drive utilizing Dynamic Disks?  I see a reference to it in your original post.  If so, perhaps this is the problem.   I would use the bootable Acronis USB option since it should give you less problems with locking files, etc.  If using the Acronis USB option, then boot Win10, then press & hold the Shift key while you click Shutdown so the system does a full shutdown instead of the typical Win10 hibernation which could cause problems when using Acronis from a bootable USB drive.  This option should also speed up the cloning process.  Disable Secure Boot for this option while booting to the Acronis USB drive as I don't know if it is compatible with Secure Boot enabled.  See my previous reply about how to boot using UEFI on a Dell.   Also make sure you make an Acronis UEFI USB drive too.

Kilobyte Kid

HWTech. Thanks yet again. I've linked the text files from GSmart if you're up for looking them over:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M2vCNsXdujUuagF6L5emBmuwHFKrG69p

The Toshiba is the source drive. I have been wodering if bad sectors on the source drive are the problem somehow so will next run a command line chkdsk /f. Would that take care of the bad sector possibility? Crucial tech/chat told me that the ssd contorller prevents data from being copied to bad sectors there (??) so assume such problem is limited to the Toshiba. I installed adk and created what I assume is a more cutomized acronis usb for uefi. 

Dynamic disks: as far as I know, I'm not using that but, yes, an early error message had such a reference.

I think I'll have time to get to this today.

OK. Really appreciate the help. I'll report back with next attempt and, we hope, success. This is way harder than it should be... .

JEDEC Jedi

Your drives look Ok to me so you should try running chkdsk on your Toshiba.  You should also run it on the WINRETOOLS partition as well just to be safe as well as the ESP partition if it will let you.   If the source hard drive actually had bad sectors, then you would not want to run chkdsk on it as it could make the problem worse since the more you use the drive the more likely you are to accelerate the drive's failure so that the data will be lost. 

Yeah, sometimes things go very easy and other times it has so many problems you just want to toss it out.   Let us know how it goes.  We'll do our best to assist you.

Kilobyte Kid

It's a brand new computer (though refurbished from dell but full 3 year warranty). Seems unlikely HD is failing -- no other sign it is. What's the command line to run chkdsk on winretools & esp partitions? And do I not want to run /r and just look for bad sectors but not repair them?

Again, thank!

JEDEC Jedi

According to SMART you haven't had any bad blocks on the hardware for your Toshiba drive.    Run chkdsk with the  /f option (I think, it has been a while since I've run it).    To run it on the other two partitions, I believe you have use Disk Management and assign them a drive letter, then you should be able to run chkdsk on them by referencing the drive letter.  Just remember to remove it later as they should not be mounted during normal use.  It may be possible to just right click on the partitions in Disk Management and initiate a scan through the GUI.   It's possible your filesystem or partitions sustained errors from other means (unexpected power loss, etc.).

You may want to reseat your hard drive's power & data cables in case they could be loose.  While the SMART attributes are really useful, some types of drive failures don't show up in them, but it is usually on older drives and your drive has hardly been used much.

Kilobyte Kid

OK. Finally! The clone worked. Variables -- as you suggested -- that were new and solved problem were:

1. Formatting the Acronis USB as UEFI (for future people searching for this solution: Use Advanced, then choose Windows 10. In my case, had to install MS ADK tools. Took 45 minutes or so).
  2. Don't know if it was critical but, as suggested, held the SHIFT key when shutting down.
  3. Dell, so F12 to enter boot/UEFI options. Acronis disk showed as UEFI USB.
  4. Normal clone operation from there until very end. Got error message: "Cannont find the driver for the following device: ID: ACP\VEN_INT&DEV-3451  Place the driver on the removable media and Retry. Otherwise you can add the driver by applying Universal Restore under bootable media."

No real clue what that meant. Search showed similar problems but not the same driver. Finally chose Ignore figuring if I had to do it again, I'd use Universal Restore instead of the Clone tool
  5. Finished immediately and said drive had cloned successfully.
  6. Installed and it booted fine.
  7. Yay.

One of the more frustrating clone/restores I've ever had but happy to have solved it. HWTech: many thanks for your help!

JEDEC Jedi

Glad you were successful!   Thanks for posting the detailed update as it may help others in a similar situation.