SSDs can lose data in as little as 7 days without power

Kilobyte Kid

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/205382-ssds-can-lose-data-in-as-little-as-7-days-without-power

Is that relevant to the current crucial SSDs ?

Thanks in advance

3 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: SSDs can lose data in as little as 7 days without power

You should probably read the article rather than the sensationalist headline. Smiley Happy

JEDEC Jedi

In case it's not clear though, the JEDEC spec calls for the data to survive 2 years without power in typical environmental conditions. But the drives are certainly not intended to be used for archival purposes - ie. unplugged from a PC and stored in a warehouse as a backup for decades.  That won't work.

Also not that this is all abotu the drives having no power.  If the drives have power, internal maintenance routines rewrite static data.  So it's not an issue that a certain file is created and not modified for years or anything like that.

The issue is going to be if you for some reason decide not to use your computer for 3 years in a row and then decide you want to and that data you hadn't cared about for 3 years suddenly does matter to you after all. Smiley Happy

JEDEC Jedi

Following what @targetbsp has written I don't think it is relevant to any current brand consumer SSDs. That has been rised up 3 years ago but to be honest I cannot recall any single case (that would be reported on this or few other SSDs forums) of a SSD that lost the data because of that.

I have one Crucial M500 drive that is being used only for 2 or 3 weeks in July each year. Since 2013 it is unpowered for 11 months each year - no issues at all.

The thing we should really be concerned about is the proper backup routine Smiley Happybackup day.jpg