Sanitize drive operation failing

Kilobyte Kid

Sanitize drive operation failing

Hi!!

I have a crucial mx500 ssd, 500gb, that I need to secure erase, and i’m using crucial storage executive to try to do it, but it is failing. My laptop is in AHCI mode, and momentum cache is off. I have only one SATA port, and it supports 6.0gb/s. The sad is my boot drive.

I also tried using USB, to try to secure erase it, but it just unmounts the usb device and then says no device detected.

The ssd is my boot drive. 

Pls do not recommend parted magic, as I don’t want to pay for something, I’m only gonna use once and then never see it again

7 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Sanitize drive operation failing

I believe this version of Parted Magic can work for you.

If not, then create a bootable Knoppix Linux USB drive and use the instructions from here.   If you are unsure, please ask and I can provide some extra details to assist you since they assume you are a little bit familiar with Linux.  To get the Linux drive identifier for your SSD, you can use GSmartControl (Start menu --> System Tools).   You then substitute the drive identifier for the "X" used in the examples.  Most likely your drive will be "sda".

Kilobyte Kid

Hello

thanks for the reply

are you sure that an older version of parted magic will work for me?

also, I’m a total noob to Linux, so I have no idea on how to use anything based on Linux, can you give me some further instructions?

thanks a lot

JEDEC Jedi

If Parted Magic boots your laptop then it should work.  If it does not boot, you could try setting the BIOS/UEFI settings temporarily to Legacy MBR mode if it is available.  Just make sure to change it back before installing an OS on the laptop.

If Parted Magic doesn't work, then let me know and I will provide you more detailed instructions for using Linux later today when I have more time. 

If you are using Bitlocker hardware encryptionnon on the drive, then make sure to use the PSID revert option with Parted Magic.   For PSID revert you will need to get the PSID code from the label on the SSD, otherwise just use the Sanitize/Secure Erase option. 

Kilobyte Kid

Ok thanks, I’ll give it a shot

also, I’m told that parted magic uses a Linux-type interface 

if so, can you provide me with some detailed instructions, on how to secure erase my ssd?

because I don’t trust myself to come out of it safely if I do it alone,  more likely i’d end up bricking the drive

thanks a lot

JEDEC Jedi

While Parted Magic utilizes Linux, I think it provides a GUI interface which should be self explanatory.  I've never personally used Parted Magic so I'm not sure exactly what it is like, but many others without Linux experience have used it.

JEDEC Jedi

Why do you evern *need* to secure erase your SSD?  I've been using SSD's for 10 years, have owned about a dozen drives, and never felt the need to secure erase any of them.

If you just need to reinstall Windows then just get Windows setup to delete the partition and make a new one.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you so much!!

The old version of parted magic worked beautifully, I had to set the boot to legacy

your tip provided a lot of help, man

thanks so much