Secure erase a Crucial MX300

SOLVED
Highlighted
Binary Boss

Secure erase a Crucial MX300

I have tried to secure erase this ssd with Crucial Storage Executive, and Partition magic. Sanitize drive and PSID Revert both display drive is not supported. Partition Magic, also does not support this ssd, but does display "This drive does not support the Security Erase Unit Command". The TCG symbol is also missing,and there are no extra partions on this drive. What's my recourse to secure erase this drive?

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Secure erase a Crucial MX300

Is the SSD connected to an internal SATA port configured for AHCI mode?  Connecting the SSD with eSATA can work as well.  Just make sure the SATA port is a true SATA port and not one which doubles as a RAID port if you have a choice.

If the SSD was using hardware encryption, then the Secure Erase may not work and you will need to do a PSID revert.  Crucial Storage Executive cannot Secure Erase or PSID revert the boot drive.  If you still have issues after you verify your SATA ports, then we need to see if the SSD has encryption or secuirty enabled on it.  You can also try installing the SSD in another computer and trying the PSID revert and Secure Erase again.

Binary Boss

I was able to perform a secure erase on the ssd a few months ago, when I was upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 Enterprise. It seems that Windows 10 resets the ssd's security mode, and PSID revert, nor Secure Erase commands can't access the ssd. Will Crucial Storage Executive perform a PSID Revert on a windows 10 Enterprise OS? Is there an extra procedure that must be performed to reset the ssd's security mode?

JEDEC Jedi

Perhaps Win10 Enterprise has some security/management setting preventing you from performing a PSID revert or Secure Erase.  The Parted Magic option should have worked unless the BIOS/UEFI settings are blocking the commands or the SSD is on a SATA port that could be controlled by a RAID chip.   

Use the instructions here (starting at 4th paragraph) to see if the SSD is using Opal2 encryption and this post to see if ATA Security is enabled (instructions assumes at most two drives are installed and this can be changed).  Knoppix can also be used to check the ATA Security status as it has the hdparm command already installed. 

How is the SSD connected to your system?  Is it the boot drive or a secondary drive?  Is the SSD connected to the exact same SATA port as the last time when you successfully erased the drive using Win7?  Was the SSD connected this way when you used Parted Magic?  Do you have access to another PC so that you can install the SSD and try resetting/erasing again?

Binary Boss

I finally resorted to "wiping" my ssd with EaseUS Partition Master. Skeptical about EaseUS Partition Master's ssd wiping protocol, I PSID reverted my ssd with Crucial Storage Executive, which was now supported byCrucial Storage Executive. Problem solved.