Should I be worried about my MX500 1TB SSD install?

Kilobyte Kid

Should I be worried about my MX500 1TB SSD install?

I just installed a brand new MX500 1TB SSD (purchased directly from Crucial) to replace my laptop's aging 750GB HDD. This was my first direct experience with an SSD, and some things occurred during the clone and after the install that make me somewhat hesitant to trust the new drive. So, I'm wondering if these anomalies are considered normal, or if I should be worried.  I am using a ASUS G75VW laptop running 64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro with all the latest updates.

Here are the concerning events:

1. In my first attempt to clone using the Acronis for Crucial software, the process just hung (for about four hours, before I just gave up) in while it appeared to be enumerating the list of possible source drives. The laptop has two hard drives (750GB boot HDD and 500GB second internal HDD, both 7200RPM, and one 64GB SD card). I figured that four hours just trying to enumerate three drives seemed excessive. Sure, one drive per hour, maybe...
  2. In my second cloning attempt, without changing anything, the cloning process ran for awhile (appearing to do lots of reading of the source drive) and then failed with a generic error that referred me to a log file. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the log file, and couldn't find documentation pointing to where the log file should be.  (I should have taken a screen shot of this, or written down the exact text, but was too busy trying to look for the mysterious log file.)
  3. In my third cloning attempt, again without changing anything, the cloning process ran much longer and appeared to make more progress. But then I got a "Failed to read data from the disk" error, saying that it failed to read sector '0' or hard disk '4' (which is the MX500 SSD), suggested I repeat the operation (which failed the same way on each retry), and suggested that I use Check Disk and create a backup of the disk. It also offerd this additional detail: "Failed to read the snapshot manager drive. (0x1000D7) Unknown status (0x9) The media in the drive may have changed (0xFFF0)" Retry after retry got the same message. I tried clicking Ignore, but kept getting the same message. When I finally clicked Ignore All, the cloning process continued without further error, and finally ended with the coveted "The disk was successfully cloned" message.
  4. Gritting my teeth and crossing my fingers (or crossing my teeth and gritting my fingers, I don't remember which), I took a leap of faith and replaced my boot HDD with the new SSD. Before booting from it, I peeked at the boot options in the BIOS, and saw that there were two identical entries...both for the same SSD partition. I had never seen a single partition appear twice in the BIOS boot list before, but I took a second leap of faith and booted from the drive into Windows, apparently successfully.
  5. After logging in and using the system for about five minutes (just reading email, firing up Task Manager, and opening a couple of browser windows), the system spontaneously restarted. I have never had a spontaneous restart on this system in the five years I've had it, so this was quite a surprise. No warning, no "save your data, we're logging you off, we're restarting" messages. It just jumped directly to restarting Windows.

After it restarted itself, I used the system for about an hour without incident. I then installed Crucial Storage Executive, and all looked well there. New firmware was available (I had M3CR020, and the new version was M3CR022), so I updated the firmware using the reboot method, without incident. I then enabled Momentum Cache, rebooted, and all seems well.

Is this level of disconcerting behavior normal for these SSDs and associated cloning software?  Or should I be worried that all is not well, and I should be worried.

9 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Should I be worried about my MX500 1TB SSD install?

I'd have given up after my second attempt and just clean installed it. Smiley Very Happy

The two entries in your BIOS are not a partitioning error so you don't need to worry about that.  It'll be the same partition listed in windows boot manager twice for some reason.  It's harmless.

The reboot is obviously of more concern but your best bet is probably just to continue using the system as normal and see if it was a one off, since the SMART data thinks the drive is physically fine.  Modern copies of Windows spontaneously restart instead of showing blue screens.  But you will be able to see the error in event viewer after the fact.  It will be under the system log and the source will be bugcheck.

Have you done a chkdisk after the clone? And/or an sfc /scannow

There are things you can do to combat issues where a drive is fine but the system is misbehaving with it such as:

i) setting the power plan to high performance (I'd recommend doing this anyway)

ii) setting the drives sata port to hotswap (I'd also recommend doing this as a matter of course)

iii) changing the sata driver between the microsoft one and your chipset one or vicae versa.  And even different versions of your chipset driver  (I wouldn't necasarily recommend this until deciding you actually have an issue since this recommendation is BECAUSE some drivers and versions are problematic on some systems so, whilst unlikley, you may be introducing an issue where you don't have one!)

iv) and ofc the firmware update you've already done.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks so much for your prompt reply.

The only thing I can find in the event log around the time of the spontaneous reboot was from Kernel-Power: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."  I hunted around for anything that looked like a crash before that, but didn't find anything.  It hasn't occurred since.

I have done a check disk, and it turned up no issues. 

I also did an sfc /scannow, and it reported: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios." I don't know if these issues were already present. I'll investigate each one, and may go back to the original HDD to see if the issues were there before.

So far, since my post, I have been using the system without any other unusual behavior.

I am already running with a high performance power plan, and will consider each of your other recommendations.

Thanks again.

JEDEC Jedi

If you run the DISM command documented here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-o...

Then scannow will be able to do whatever fixes it needs to.

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the pointer to DSIM.

I ran it and got:

Error: 0x800f0906

The source files could not be downloaded.
Use the "source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see
 http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077."

I am now looking at setting up a local network repair source. Need to do some reading.  Everything becomes a career...

Thanks again.

JEDEC Jedi

Yeah the first time I did this, it took me a while to get my head around it. Smiley Sad

And unfortuantely I can't remember much about it!

Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

@kgcode,    My guess is one of your original hard drives may be failing and Acronis was having trouble due to the errors.   In my experience most cloning software has trouble when the source drive is slow or failing, but if the other hard drive is failing it can cause interference on the SATA controller causing issues you described.   You should be able to see if this was the case by checking both hard drive's SMART Attributes. You can use GSmartControl to check it and they have a portable version so you don't have to actually install anything.   You should be able to check your original boot drive by connecting it externally with your USB to SATA cable, although some USB controllers & adapters may block access to SMART.   Check that the RAW value for the following SMART Attributes is zero:

5      Reallocated Sector Count

187  Reported Uncorrectable Errors

196  Reallocated Event Count

197  Current Pending Sector Count

198  Uncorrectable Sector Count

188  Command Timeout

199  UltraDMA CRC Error Count   (usually indicates a cable issue)

Sometimes SMART errors may be listed below the SMART Attribute table (some GUI's don't include them though) which may not always be reflected in the attributes I listed.

FYI to everyone, if your system is slow or you suspect your hard drive is failing you need to be very careful.  The more you keep trying things, the more likely the failing hard drive will get worse to the point where your data will not be recoverable even with professional data recovery services (most people I find don't have any backups).   The best free tool I've ever used to clone a failing hard drive is the Linux gddrescue command line tool.  Here is a nice overview of the process.   In addition to the gddrescue options listed in the link, I would add the following "--ask" so it gives you one chance to make sure you got the source & destination correct.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for your recommendations and for the pointer to the GSmartControl utility.

It's disconcerting that the HDD might have been failing. I ran SMART health checks on it at least monthly using the manufacturer's utility. The HDD didn't seem to slow down. I opted to replace it with the SSD to improve boot time and to reduce noise during recording sessions. (The HDD wasn't particularly noisy, but high-quality recording equipment would pick up the faint "whir" of the drive motor, and I wanted to eliminate that completely.

Using the portable version of GSmartControl, I looked at the attributes of the HDD, connected to a USB adapter:

5      Reallocated Sector Count reported 0

187  Reported Uncorrectable Errors did not appear in the attributes table

196  Reallocated Event Count reported 0

197  Current Pending Sector Count reported 0

198  Uncorrectable Sector Count reported 0

188  Command Timeout did not appear in the attributes table

199  UltraDMA CRC Error Count  reported 0

I'm not sure why two of the attributes didn't appear in the table, but the ones that did look ok.

While I was at it, I ran an extended self test on the HDD, and it reported no problems.

Again, thanks for the recommendations and pointer.

Crucial Employee

It would be worth running a chkdsk /r on your old HDD, then attempt cloning again. Typically cloning issues are a result of one of two things, physically errors and problems with the source drive, or more likely simply errors with the data on the drive.

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/How-to-schedule-a-check-disk-on-your-drive/ta-p/179020

A chkdsk /r will try to address any errors with the data on the drive itself. If this does not resolve the cloning problems you'll need to start looking at alternatives. You could try a different free cloning program like: Macrium Reflect, HD Clone, Clonezilla, but you may need to start think about using a 3rd backup drive to make an image backup through windows then restore it to the SSD, or a clean install of Windows as the final option. Making a backup image is typically more forgiving than cloning; cloning is bit for bit, so if there are any errors with the data on the drive a cloning process is going to have lots of issues.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

@kgcode, Check your other hard drive for errors as well.   If it is having issues, it can affect the cloning process.   Not all drives have each of those attributes, but if they exist and are non-zero it could be the reason for the cloning issues or even rebooting issues.  Unfortunately not all hard drive issues are reflected in the SMART Attributes.

Is there a BIOS/UEFI firmware update available for your system/motherboard?

If you decide to make another clone, I would suggest performing a clean install of Windows 8.1 first and see if it resolves your problems (make sure to install the system/motherboard chipset & SATA drivers and possibly Intel drivers).   You can download the Windows installer direct from Microsoft.   Depending on your system, it may even be possible to reinstall Windows over top of itself without affecting your data.  Microsoft is very particular in the rules for this for some reason, so most likely the option won't be available to you.

Just on the off chance your new SSD is having issues, you may want to post a screenshot of the SMART Attributes for the MX500.   If your laptop uses a SATA cable, then it may need replaced.   The reinstall Windows option is a good way to narrow down the possible failure points.