Slightly bent MX500 M.2 - is it normal?

Kilobyte Kid

Slightly bent MX500 M.2 - is it normal?

Hi,

I just received my new MX500 M.2 500GB and noticed that is slightly bent. When I lay it flat on a table it lifts about 0.5mm at the center. This is not a transport damage, the ssd was in its original package and the box was well padded.

As a (junior) electrical engineer I know that PCBs can sometime wrap because of different thermal expansion of PCBs and components. Generally this is not a reason to worry, but BGA packages (the memory modules, DRAM and controller) can be quite delicate and show long term reliability issues. So, is it normal that the MX500 M.2 is slightly bent?

I'm asking because I'm worried, that if the ssd fails 3 years ahead crucial will blame me for damage during installation and not fulfill their warranty.

Thanks for your advice,
Dennis

3 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Slightly bent MX500 M.2 - is it normal?

@uhil I am very sorry for the late reply. It isn't normal for it to be slightly bent, so if you are concerned I would advise exchanging the drive under warranty. Our contact info for your region can be found in my signature. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for the reply, YogiH.

By now the 2-week return-without-any-reason period has expired, so I can't easily exchange it through the seller. If it should fail within the 5 year warraenty period I'll get back to you. I'm not worried about data loss, it is only for data storage and I do full weekly backups.

Greetings,

Dennis

Highlighted
Community Manager

@uhil Yes, please get back to us if you run into any issues. Thank you. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?