Slow read and write speeds on MX500

Bit Baby

Slow read and write speeds on MX500

Using the latest version of Crystal Disk Mark I am getting read speeds of 398MB/s and write speeds of 332MB/s on my newly installed MX500 1TB. I am running a 2011 MacBook Pro and Windows 7 SP1. These scores seem well below advertised, whereas I was expecting the drive to saturate the SATA 600 bus. What potential issues could I look into?

3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Slow read and write speeds on MX500

I've never benchmarked an SSD in a 2011 MBPro (not even sure if I've ever installed one either).  There is a chance the hard drive cable could be holding it back.   While I've never noticed any issues with the cables in this model, I've heard somone who repairs systems mention that Apple has had cable issues with their laptops for years, though I've never knowingly experienced it myself.   I believe this model also uses an NVidia chipset which has been known to cause issues with SSDs and it is hard to tell whether Apple would have qualified the SATA controller for full SATA III speeds when they only ever intended it to be used by a much slower hard drive that can only achieve a fraction of the bus speed.  It is known that this occurs with the MBPro's optical drive SATA controller.

Running the test on a boot drive can also give mixed results.    Plus  AV is probably running, Windows could be indexing, apps could be updating, or other services or processes could be interfering, etc.  Plus with it being Bootcamp & Apple the drivers may not be the latest or optimized.  It may not be one single thing.

Depending on the version of OSX used to set everything up, perhaps the partitions are not aligned on 4k boundaries.

JEDEC Jedi

If that is an Nvidia chipset - that score is nothing short of miraculous.  You should be pleased with it. Smiley Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Thanks for your ideas! After doing a bit more research I have found out that the SATA controller does not run in AHCI mode, rather it runs in IDE mode. This is the way Apple has designed Boot Camp on this model – there are hacks to force AHCI according to this post at least, though I’m not too keen on the idea of losing my standby mode.

Would you agree that this is the reason for my subpar benchmark scores?

BTW I don’t think this model uses an nVidia chipset, I think it is Intel 6 series. (Yay!)