Sound hardware not found after using cloned Windows 7 MX500 SSD.

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

After starting Windows 7 from my new MX500 SSD, everything seemed fine until I noticed that the sound hardware had vanished from the device manager.  How did this happen if the SSD is a 'clone' of my original Windows 7 drive?

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Sound hardware not found after using cloned Windows 7 MX500 SSD.

A few people have had this in the past.  Several users have recommended this as the solution that has worked for them: https://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/MX500-clone-no-sound/m-p/185918/highlight/true#M56746

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I work in IT, the Device Manager is well known to me.  Only problem is that there are no yellow triangled entries under the Sound etc section.

The webcam, TV and an android cam client are listed, but not my Sound Blaster sound card.

JEDEC Jedi

The post @targetbsp linked, mentioned looking in the "System" section of Device Manager for a broken sound driver which I grant you is counter-intuitive.  If you see no broken drivers, then perhaps try updating every driver using the method in the previously linked post.

I never liked the term "clone" for most of the software used for this purpose.  To me a clone should be an identical copy (bit for bit).  Most cloning software is just copying files to a new partition and sometimes modifying system files to allow booting since partitions may have been resized which can cause issues with Windows without those system changes.  I don't understand why people encounter sound driver issues, but I'm guessing it may have something to do with DRM.

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

If the solution that helped others with the sound issues hasn't helped you, Crucial themselves recommend cloning outside of Windows to resolve driver cloning issues: https://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Crucial-MX500-1TB-SSD-USB-HID-mouse-amp-keyboard-no-longe...

I recommend just clean installing Windows.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?