Spinning Beach Ball since upgrading to SSD

Kilobyte Kid

Spinning Beach Ball since upgrading to SSD

I've just upgraded my 2009 27inch i7 iMac (16Gb RAM) running El Capitan  with an MX500 2Tb SSD. 

I reinstalled from my Time Machine backup.

I've now started getting a lot of spinning beach balls when undertaking the most basic of tasks.

The beach ball can last anything from 1 second to 10-20 seconds.

While playing music via iTunes and doing some image manipulation at one point the music also stopped briefly at the same time I got the spinning ball.

I've run Disk Utility and created an new user profile to test that but I received a 1 second beach ball witihn 5 minutes of opeing it so it looks like its not my profile.

Do these SDD take time to 'optimize' or could i have a dodgy SSD?

5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Spinning Beach Ball since upgrading to SSD

Did you install a thermal sensor adapter along with your SSD or do you have the older model iMac which does not need it?  Did you upgrade your memory at the same time?

Are you using APFS on the SSD?

When you (re-)start the iMac, hold down the Shift key immediately after the startup chime so that you enter Safe Boot.  Besides seeing if you get the spinning wheel here, this mode also will delete some cache files (IIRC) which can cause problems.

Check Activity Monitor to see if you have any excessive CPU utilization, memory use (compressed memory) and check for non-stop disk I/O during the spinning wheels.

It also wouldn't hurt to check the Console logs to see what is happening during those periods with the spinning wheel.  By default the Console opens up to showing you the current log entries in real time.  The Console logs now include so much junk that I doubt you will find anything useful, but it never hurts to look.  

Make sure to have several apps open.  When you get the spinning wheel, can you task switch using Cmd+Tab to another app and is it functional or do you get the spinning wheel there as well?

Is FileVault enabled?

Please provide a screenshot of the SMART Attributes (aka Health Attributes) of your SSD using DriveDX.  Also take note if there are any entries in the "Error Log" section just beneath the Health Attributes on the left panel.   Please provide the firmware revision of the drive which should appear on one of the information pages within DriveDX.

You may want to run the Apple Hardware Test.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi HWTech

Thanks for the reply ... there was a lot of information there, some of which i understand and some i don't.

The Spinning ball seems to be happening less, i don't suppose there could be a bedding period?

I've also tried to update to the latest SSD firmware but all i'm getting is error codes.

I'll answer them one by one;

1.  Did you install a thermal sensor adapter along with your SSD or do you have the older model iMac which do.es not need it?  Did you upgrade your memory at the same time?

I had the SSD fitted my a local Mac engineer who fitted it while he replaced my faulty graphics chip. He doesn't use the OWC thermal sensor and uses an App called SSD Fan Control which seesm to be doing a good job at keeping the fan speed in check. I was running 16Gb of RAM before I had the SSD fitted.

2. Are you using APFS on the SSD?

I'm using OSX Extended on El Capitan 10.11.6

3. When you (re-)start the iMac, hold down the Shift key immediately after the startup chime so that you enter Safe Boot.  Besides seeing if you get the spinning wheel here, this mode also will delete some cache files (IIRC) which can cause problems.

I'll give this a go and report back

4. Check Activity Monitor to see if you have any excessive CPU utilization, memory use (compressed memory) and check for non-stop disk I/O during the spinning wheels.

I'm not sure what i'd be looking for here

5. It also wouldn't hurt to check the Console logs to see what is happening during those periods with the spinning wheel.  By default the Console opens up to showing you the current log entries in real time.  The Console logs now include so much junk that I doubt you will find anything useful, but it never hurts to look.  

I'm not sure what i'd be looking for here

6. Make sure to have several apps open.  When you get the spinning wheel, can you task switch using Cmd+Tab to another app and is it functional or do you get the spinning wheel there as well?

I'll give this a go and report back

7. Is FileVault enabled?

No

8. Please provide a screen shot of the SMART Attributes (aka Health Attributes) of your SSD using DriveDX.  Also take note if there are any entries in the "Error Log" section just beneath the Health Attributes on the left panel.   Please provide the firmware revision of the drive which should appear on one of the information pages within DriveDX.

Hopefully I've attached what youre after

Thanks again in advance

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 19.40.15.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-30 at 19.33.18.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-30 at 19.32.46.png

Kilobyte Kid

I've tried running AHT from both 'command D' and just 'D' on start up and cannot connect

I have my origional install CD's with AHT on the 2nd disc (with the 'read me AHT' file on it) but i cannot go into AHT from this either. I have again tried both 'command D' and just 'D' with the CD in from staart up and all i get get taken to is the logon screen

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

You need to use Option+D, not "Command".   If it still does not work, you could try a SMC Reset & PRAM Reset to see if it will let you boot into the Apple Hardware Test.

As for #4, you want to have Activity Monitor open before the Spinning Wheels happen (if possible) so you can observe at least one of those tabs in real time.  For the "Disk" tab, you want to look at the very bottom right of Activity Monitor for the "Data read/sec" & "Data write/sec".  If you see constant rates in "MB/s" range, then you need to determine what is reading/writing non-stop (clicking the appropriate column in Activity Monitor will show you the files with the largest amount of access, not necessarily what is currently being accessed).   Memory tab is similar as you want to see if you are compressing memory or using lots of Swap.  You generally won't have much free memory so that is not a good guide these days.   CPU tab will allow you to sort by highest "% CPU" to know which process is doing all the work at the moment.

As for #5 checking the logs, this is a longshot these days and it is next to impossible to advise you.  I just look for a change in the logs at the time of an event as that may point to a problem.  This involves reviewing & comparing the logs before the problem ever started so you know what is normal for your OSX.

You may want to disable "Putting hard drive to sleep" in the Energy Saver Preferences and possibly even disabling "Power Nap".

As for updating the firmware, you will need to download the manual updater in ISO format and use Etcher to create a bootable USB drive.   If this still produces errors, please let me know what the error message reports.

I'm still waiting for your screenshots to approved by a moderator.

JEDEC Jedi

Ok, your screenshots have finally been approved by the moderators, but the first one showing the Health Indicators is still not visible.  Can you repost that one?  There is also a way to export a text report, but if you do this make sure to remove the SSD's serial number from the output before posting.  I don't have access to DriveDx at this time so I cannot advise you on how to do this.

On the third screenshot which shows the Error Log, I've seen that same message just this week on two of our own MX500s installed in one system.  I'm not sure what is up with that, but I think it is safe to ignore for now since I'm not aware of any problems with our system and the error is only listed once.

Have you been able to gather any more information (attempt another firmware update using my later instructions, #4 Activity Monitor, or #6 Task switching between multiple apps)?