Storage Executive Issue

Bit Baby

Storage Executive Issue

I have just installed the MX500 SSD in my desktop and after a couple of software issues I am up and running.

I installed Storage Executive which gave a recommendation to alter a BIOS setting from IDE to AHCI which I did but this would not allow my computer to boot up. I reverted back to IDE and everything was running.

In case there was any problems I uninstalled Storage Executive.

Would anyone care to give me some feedback on this. Also should I re-install Storage Executive and just ignre this recommendation.

6 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Storage Executive Issue

Windows only enables the storage driver for the mdoe used during installation.  Sop if you change to AHCI after installation, Windows can't find your drive.

Follow this guide if you'd liek to enable the AHCI driver: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/how-to-enable-ahci-for-s...

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Thinking about it... I'm a bit surprised Storage Exec makes that recommendation.  It *is* required to make the drive run optimally.  But as you've seen - people unfamiliar enough with AHCI that they're not already using can't actually just change it...

Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Thanks for the replies.

I've done a bit of searching on the web and I got various solutions to my problem.

I got a simple solution to enable AHCI on my computer without having to manually alter the registry.

I re-installed Storage Executive and all seems fine now.

JEDEC Jedi

What is that simple solution please?  It may help others.

Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Here is the solution I came across and it works.

I found the solution without having to do a manual registry hack!

1. Click the Restart button with Shift key and follow the prompts for "Advanced Options" through several screens. Eventually, you end up at a screen that tells you upon reboot you will be able to so many things including starting in Safe Mode. The only button will be a "Restart" button on this screen.
  2. BEFORE Windows starts, enter BIOS setup.
  3. Change the SATA mode in BIOS to whatever you would like: IDE, AHCI or RAID(XHD).
  4. Boot into Windows. Step 1 configured Windows to ask you what type of boot options you would like to use. #4 is Safe Mode. This will get the proper drivers for the BIOD setting loaded on the system, into memory, and the registry configured correctly for you. No other configuration is required.
  5. Reboot Windows in normal mode. Windows will use the configuration that it automatically self-fixed in step 4.
JEDEC Jedi

I guess this is a 10 feature?  (maybe even 8??) Would explain why i couldn't find a guide to fixing it in 10 and why I've not heard of this is a solution for older Windows.

Want to be a Super User?