Successful SSD installation on MacBook Pro running Mohave 10.14.2

Bit Baby

Successful SSD installation on MacBook Pro running Mohave 10.14.2

My successful installation took several days so I hope thiese notes help future users.  

I initially installed my SSD drive in my Macbook replacing my harddrive and used Time Machine to transfer my data.  Transfer took about 2.5 hours and seemed successful.  Then computer automatically restarted.  During restart screen would freeze on Allpe logo page with full progress bar.  I waited for over an hour and nothing happened.  I spoke with Apple support who suggested repairing and verifying the disk in Disk Utility- all came out clean.  As a last resort I reinstalled the OS through the Command R bootup.  That was unsuccessful- Macbook could not recognize the SSD drive as the startup disk.  I could not erase the SSD drive and start over because the drive would not unmount.  I contacted Crucial , but without a second computer running Windows or a SSD-USB cord they could not help me.  Finally I reinstaled my original harddrive and contacted Amazon- wher I had bought the drive.  They overnighted me a replacement and gave me a credit in order to buy the SSD-USB cord for free- I had explained that I was not anxious to spend any more money while I was unsure if I would even be keeping the drive.  They also sent a prepaid label for the return and will not charge me unless I do not return the original drive within 30 days- which I can easily do.  When I received the new SSD drive and cord, I tried transferring my data through disk utility with the cord- as suggested by Crucial.  I partitioned the drive and transfered the data- after about 2 hours the data appeared to have transferred but I got an error message "APFS inverter failed to invert volume".  I canceled out and tried again but got the same message.  I googled that particular error message and got a tip on an apple forum from another user who had the same problem when installing an SSD drive.  One of the responders suggested installing a program called Carbon Copy Cloner for Mac.  I did this- you can get a 30 day trial for free.  I ran the program with the SSD drive connected by the cord.  Be prepared- the data transferred which had previously taken a couple of hours took over 12 hours.  At the end you get a couple of prompts- I do not have the langauge saved, but one of the prompts asks if you want the program to invert the volume- choose yes.  also choose yes to the last prompt which will allow "Find my Mac" to work.  After the program was finished I shut down, installed the drive into my Macbook and booted up- works perfectly.

3 Replies
Bit Baby

Re: Successful SSD installation on MacBook Pro running Mohave 10.14.2

Forgot to add I have a late 2013 macbook
JEDEC Jedi

Please check "About this Mac" on the Apple menu for the proper Apple designation for the model of your laptop.  The laptop listed as "2013"  in the official Apple name/desgination used a proprietary Apple SSD and was a Retina model, so I'm assuming you actually have a Mid-2012 laptop purchased in late 2013 which still included a traditional hard drive.

I'm glad you were able to finish the process using CCC.  

Bit Baby

Correct- sorry that was a typo. Late 2012