Trim active or not ?

Kilobyte Kid

Trim active or not ?

Hello !

I've bought a SSD Crucial MX500 250GB and installed it in an ACER ASPIRE 7715Z. I've installed Win 7.

Now, I'm using the Trimcheck tool (v 0.7 x64) to verify if TRIM is active. And the result makes me puzzled : it says "Indeterminate".

Note : I've installed the Rapid Storage Technology driver (v 11.7).

How can I know if TRIM is active or not ?

Thx ! Smiley Wink

8 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Trim active or not ?

The days where trim may or may not be active were several years ago.  You should be fine these days. Smiley Happy  Certainly Windows 7 supports it, as does that driver version.

'Indeterminate' suggests that trimcheck had some kind of fault itself.  You'd probably be best contacting the support of that program.  I've not heard of that before!

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thanks for your answer !

In fact, "Indeterminate" means that there is too much activity on the SSD (reading/writing). How is it possible ?

JEDEC Jedi

You'd have to see what's using your disk I guess.  There's some programs detailed here fo that task: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/find-out-what-program-is-secretly-accessing-your-hard-disk-drive/

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I've bought another SSD Crucial MX500 Sata (500GB this time) for my PC (totally different configuration). After a fresh install (Win 7), the same problem appears : status indeterminate with the TRIM; incredible,isn't it ? Smiley Frustrated

JEDEC Jedi

The  MX500 series utilize a cache of SLC NAND to improve the performance of the TLC NAND used in the MX300/MX500 series.  I wonder if the cache on the MX500 is interfering with the utility or results?   

JEDEC Jedi

Good thinking!  It is a write cache - so it's feasible.  I'm not sure trim check has much use these days?  When Intel added raid 0 support for it back in 2012 you could largely just assume trim works on any config!  So that it doesn't work on these modern models may have gone unnoticed...

Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
Crucial Employee

@targetbsp did you by chance try using the 

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

Line in command prompt already?

If the results come back as 0 we could probably safely assume TRIM is active. Refreshing the Windows experience index in 7 should kick it on if it isn't running. 

Funny you mentioned RAID, because RAID mode can actually often prevent TRIM from running. So if you acer is configured for RAID in the BIOS settings which Acer/HP/Dell are all guilty of doing for budget laptops from time to time, that could certainly be what's preventing it form running.

It's worth pointing out TRIM is by no means required for your SSD to run properly. TRIM really hasn't been needed for consumer drives for almost ten years now, thanks to the implementation of controller based cleanup processes like Garbage Collection. Realistically TRIM is only needed in environments that are getting heavy erases to supplement the controller cleanup, but even then you shouldn't be buying a consumer grade SSD, and should be looking an enterprise level drive which is designed to handle even elevated erases without the help of TRIM. Pretty much all drives are engineered today with the thought that TRIM will never be used. So if you are unable to get a solid answer as to whether TRIM is running or not, I woudn't sweat too much over it Smiley Happy

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

DisableDeleteNotify only shows if the OS is sending trim commands.  Which isn't very useful because it defaults to sending them so almost certainly isn't the cause of no trim support.

The enxt possibility is a lack fo support in the drive.  Which won't be the case because any drive in the past several years supports trim.

So the most likely cause of trim not working is the sata controller or its driver.  And again - anything in the past several years is going to support this.  Intel added trim support in their drives back before it was even renamed to IRST.  And even RAID support was added back in v9.6 (and we're on 16.something now).

So any computer less than several years old can more or less be assumed to have trim.  And yeah - garbage collection exists for ancient computers/OS's that don't. Smiley Happy

Want to be a Super User?