Update firmware of MX500 on Mac OS High Sierra, MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) ?

Kilobyte Kid

Update firmware of MX500 on Mac OS High Sierra, MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) ?

Anybody has idea how to update MX500 500GB SSD firmware (from M3CR010 to M3CR022) on MacBook Pro 9,2 (Mid 2012) running Mac OS High Sierra. Please guide. Thanks in anticipation !

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Update firmware of MX500 on Mac OS High Sierra, MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) ?

Download the manual firmware updater and burn it to a CD.   I think it will boot on your MBP.  If not I created the necessary boot files for UEFI only systems.

Kilobyte Kid

I already have tried this but my MBP says, "Unable to burn CD" ! ??

Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

The error sounds like it might be a media or optical drive failure.  Did you try burning it with this method?  If High Sierra changed this functionality, you could try the command line method here.   If it does burn, the mounted CD should have three folders on it, if it only has the .iso file then the CD isn't bootable.   If you cannot get it to work, I could provide you with the necessary boot files to make a bootable USB boot disk.

Kilobyte Kid

This is how I Updated the Firmware of MX500 SSD on my MacBook Pro 9,2 (Mid 2012) running Mac OS High Sierra :-

Download the firmware update for MX500 from crucial ssd support. For Burning downloded firmware (M3CR022 for MX500) to Disk, don’t use CD as media. Rather use DVD. I tried burning the iso image to CD & wasted 2 CDs. MacBook Pro failed to Burn the CD. Then I tried DVD and got success in first attempt. Then I Booted MacBook Pro from this DVD, the SSD Firmware Update process started automatically and got completed in about 30-40 seconds. After the completion of update process the system asks you to remove DVD but you fail to remove the DVD. Don’t panic, just power off the MacBook using power off button. After 1 minutes power on your MacBook as usual. After logging in you will be able to remove the DVD. 

Now go to Apple logo > About this Mac > Overview > System Report > SATA/SATA Express and look for Revision, which will show you the firmware version as M3CR022 instead of previous one, which was M3CR010.