Update firmware on a Mac, High Sierra with no CD/DVD drive?

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Update firmware on a Mac, High Sierra with no CD/DVD drive?

Am I reading things correctly that in 2018 there is no way to update the firmware on a Cruicial SSD in a Mac?  I just ordered one from from Amazon yesterday and will be returning it if this is the case.  

2 Replies
Crucial Employee

Re: Update firmware on a Mac, High Sierra with no CD/DVD drive?

Creating a bootable CD/DVD is the only method that we currently offer for upgrading the firmware on Mac systems.  I apologize for the inconvenience that this can cause.   If you have any Mac systems that are currently running bootcamp and have an open drive bay, you can absolutely download and use the Crucial Storage Executive tool on that system to update the firmware.  Outside of that, the only other option would be to remove the drive from your Mac and connect to a Windows system to perform the update.

Crucial_Ryan, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Update firmware on a Mac, High Sierra with no CD/DVD drive?

@Don_Mac  There may be a way to "burn" the updater to a USB drive, but I'm not sure if OSX has the necessary command to convert the ISO to the proper format to allow it.   I made an attempt yesterday without success, but it may have been due to my USB drive as some Macs are very finicky.  I'm also not sure if the newer Macs would be able to perform a legacy BIOS boot anyway.   With older Macs it should work.   I'll see if I can find a way to do this using only OSX and I will post the solution if I find one.

I have successfully created two other ways to allow the Crucial updater to work on Macs and other UEFI only systems using a USB boot drive.  I was able to create a set of UEFI boot files which will allow your Mac to boot from a USB drive and I would gladly share them if I am unsuccessful with the previously mentioned option.  I've also been successful in remastering the Crucial ISO to allow both legacy BIOS booting & the newer UEFI booting, but this is not for the faint of heart and requires using Linux and a command line.

I've been in recent contact with someone from Crucial  about this very issue, so I'm hoping they will correct this slight oversight as I'm sure they would like to keep their customers happy.  It would also give them an advantage over their competitors as most of their competitor's only seem to support Windows for updating their SSDs.   As a Linux and OSX user I always check a company's support site for OS independent update methods before making any purchases.