Why Crucial doesn't have NVMe PCIe SSD?

Kilobyte Kid

Why Crucial doesn't have NVMe PCIe SSD?

or does it, was looking for one but cant find any.  would be really unfortunate if it doesnt, i been a customer for a long time, would hate to look elsewhere

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Why Crucial doesn't have NVMe PCIe SSD?

As far as I know - they've never made one under the Crucial consumer brand.  Though their parent company, Micron, does appear to make enterprise models.

I'm not sure how big the market is.  You're the first person I've seen ask. Smiley Very Happy

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

I have the same question and need for quality PCIe NVMe SSDs.  We have bought over a hundred Crucial SATA SSDs due to the quality, relibility, and tools like Momentium Cache.  However, the new PCIe NVMe SSDs required by the new generation machines are much faster than SATA in many cases, and if Crucial doesn't enter this market soon we will have to select a new supplier, and probably take all of our SSD needs to them.  I would very much like to not have to do that.

JEDEC Jedi

I too wish they had NVMe drives as I like to have the best & fastest, but as targetbsp mentioned before the market probably isn't large enough yet.  When you think about it, what workload would actually take advanatage of those speeds?   The average user will never be able to take adavantage of it.   And most people want the least expensive product which NVMe drives are not.

Bit Baby

No disrespect, but I've been in tech for a long time, and users will *always* take full advantage for advances in speed and performance.  That is how we got from 8 bit processors and 640k RAM limitations to what we have today, and why what we have today will look pretty lame in just a few more years. :-)

Have you used a properly set up modern system with booting Windows 10 off of a PCIe NVMe drive?  They are very impressive.  For myself, a zero boot time for a Windows-based mobile device is not too fast.   Sure, there are cases where the workload is too little to show a significant difference between NVMe and SATA, but the same is true for the RAM, CPU, and video systems in modern computers.  Its for when you need it that you have the faster performance: video editing and post-processing, large database sets, full-disk indexing, booting, etc.   Anyway, it's my (complely uninformed) opinion that Crucial will wait until there is a *large* market for these devices so they can come in with very competative costs supported by anticipated high volumn sales.  The seems to be their strategy for their SATA SSD products, and seems to work for them.  Until that time, those wanting to move ahead now will have to source from other vendors.