Windows 10 File Explorer bad performance with MX500 and a hard disk drive

Bit Baby

Windows 10 File Explorer bad performance with MX500 and a hard disk drive

Hi, my new Asus X510UAR laptop come with a Toshiba MQ04ABF100 1TB hard disk drive, I purchased a MX500 500GB M.2 SSD and plug into my laptop to make it work with dual drives. The OS is Windows 10 with 8GB DDR4 2400 RAM x 2, now the OS is running at the MX500 500GB.

It was great at the beginning, run everything fast, but after few weeks the File Explorer become slow:

- slow at open the FIle Explorer;

- or the File Explorer show up fast, but the icons are blank and shown after few mins;

- or the File Explorer and files listed instantly, but when right clicked a file/folder, it hangs for few mins, then the right click menu shown;

- or copy some small files (say 20 files but total size are within 1 MB) within C drive (the MX500) from a folder to another folder, it hangs for few mins then pefrom;

And more symptoms...

I checked Windows updates few times to ensure the latest drivers are installed, also checked the Task Manager to observe if any software using system resource caused the File Explorer slow but found nothing, also the Disk Usage for both drives are low, just 1%.

I have no idead on why the File Explorer is slow like this, and this is not acceptable. Could anyone please give me some advise? Many thanks.

Tags (2)
2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Windows 10 File Explorer bad performance with MX500 and a hard disk drive

If your hard drive is set to power down when not in use (which it probably will be to save power on a laptop), Windows will hang momentarily whilst it spins it up when you open file explorer.  For this reason I don't allow my drives to power down.  But then I'm running a desktop so it's more of a no brainer decision for me...

I've also experienced similar symptoms (at least the first 3) unrelated to the above and it was resolved by a Windows re-install so I assume a damaged Windows install.

Check the SMART info for the SSD and benchmark it to check it is OK if you suspect the SSD of being at fault.  This a good SSD benchmark: https://www.alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?download_id=9  For the drive to be causing such issues - you'd be looking for low 4k performance or a high access time

Crucials own Storage Exec will check the SMART data for you (or use your preferred program)

Also check Windows event viewer for any storage related errors.

If you need rmeo detailed instrucxtions on any of the above - please let us know.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
Crucial Employee

Re: Windows 10 File Explorer bad performance with MX500 and a hard disk drive

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The information you provided is very helpful and in most cases, your SSD can be returned to normal operating condition by completing a session of garbage collection. This process will take 6 to 8 hours to perform Active Garbage Collection. The link below will help you get the  process started. 

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/My-SSD-used-to-be-so-much-faster-but-has-recently-slowed-d...

Crucial_AgentC, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?