Windows 1809 cannot install on MX500

Kilobyte Kid

Windows 1809 cannot install on MX500

I have an older HP Pavilion laptop which has been running Windows for several years. When the 1809 update came out, it trashed the hard drive and I restored to 1803 from backup. I subsequently put an MX500 in the machine and cloned the old drive to it. I finally decided to try the upgrade again and the Windows Upgrade Assistant reports that Windows can't run on this machine (though 1803 has been running fine) as it can't install from a USB. If I create the USB installation media, it boots and says that it needs a driver to run. I disabled Momentum Cache and it still failed. The USB media boots, but it does not see the C: partition, only the small boot partiton. Does anyone have any idea as to what driver I might need to run this? Thanks.

- Mike
14 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Windows 1809 cannot install on MX500

Is Bitlocker enabled on the drive?  You can check the status by opening a command prompt in Administrator Mode and typing:

manage-bde  -status

Kilobyte Kid

Nope. Bitlocker is not enabled on this machine nor was it on the machine the drive originally was in, may it rest in peace.

- Mike
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Did you use the command I provided in the earlier post to be certain Bitlocker is not enabled?  I only ask since Win10 can sometimes enable Bitlocker without any user intervention on a clean install so you may not even realize you've been using it.  

What partitions do you see when you view the SSD using Disk Management?  Post a screenshot or post the volumes on the SSD using "diskpart".

Kilobyte Kid

I checked Bitlocker in the control panel and using the manage-bde command and it is not running. The proper partitions are indicated in both Disk Management and DiskPart:

Capture.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

- Mike
JEDEC Jedi

Please post the exact model of your HP Pavilion laptop. As @HWTech has mentioned Win10 can sometimes enable Bitlocker without any user intervention and sometimes it can lead to some issues. There are ways however to prevent Windows from enabling Bitlocker - personally I like 'Shift+F10' solution and it could be handy for you since you could also diskpart clean your SSD before Windows install. diskpart clean would remove all possibly misconfigured partition info from the drive. 

I would probably 'Shift+F10' at the begining of Windows installation, diskpart clean the SSD and apply proper registry command to disable Bitlocker activation. Please post the model of your laptop and we will add a AHCI driver that should be proper for it.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

It is an old HP Pavilion DM1 dating from around 2012. It has a 1.6 ghz AMD processor and came with Win7 Home which was upgraded to Win7 Pro and later to Win10 Pro. I'm not at that machine right now, so I can't give you more information. If you need more, let me know.
- Mike
JEDEC Jedi

A few years ago I was able to download the Spring/Fall Update bundle from the Microsoft Update Catalog.  I'm not sure if the 1809 bundle is there or not.

Kilobyte Kid

I have tried updating from Windows Update, directly from Microsoft and from a USB drive created from the Microsoft download. All give the same result. I haven't tried reinstalling a hard drive to see if that will update so that it could be cloned to the SSD. If I can't get this to work, I may just wait for 1903.

- Mike
JEDEC Jedi

@schmieg wrote:

I have tried updating from Windows Update, directly from Microsoft and from a USB drive created from the Microsoft download. All give the same result. I haven't tried reinstalling a hard drive to see if that will update so that it could be cloned to the SSD. If I can't get this to work, I may just wait for 1903.

IIRC the Microsoft Update Catalog utilizes a standard Windows app installer package different from what can downloaded from other links on their website.  It behaves like installing a standard software package.  

I'm not sure if one of these on the first page is the package that can allow an install of 1809 or whether they are just 1809 patches.  I haven't been able to find the information I used to acquire the older packages to know what they were actually called.

Does the HP BIOS/UEFI settings provide a security option to prevent system level writes/commands to the drive?