Windows 1809 cannot install on MX500

Kilobyte Kid

Re: Windows 1809 cannot install on MX500

The HP BIOS on that machine is very limited and doesn't have that kind of control. We purchased the machine for my wife to use when she attended meetings at work as her issued machine was heavy and clunky to carry around. Now that we're retired, she uses it primarily when we travel; otherwise, it just sits on our home network being automatically updated by the machine she usually uses. I wouldn't bother trying to update except that Microsoft only allows delaying updates and not rejecting them. Every time the update is attempted, the system on that machine is toast, so I always make sure I have a current image backup before I attempt things. Microsoft is not so considerate.

- Mike
Crucial Employee

It's quite possible you've simply reached the end of the line in terms of your Laptop's support for Windows 10.

You didn't say exactly which DM1 system you have, but as far as I can see all of those systems only have support for up to Windows 7, there is no guarantee Windows 10 is going to work with any hardware in that system.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Pavilion-dm1-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/50...

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

I'm absolutely aware that it may not install, but it should at least recognize the SSD which is the only drive in it. It recognized the old Seagate hard drive which the SSD replaced and from which I cloned the windows installation. 1809 attempted to install on that.

- Mike
JEDEC Jedi

I understand this SSD was cloned from the original hard drive.  Was the Win10 install fresh on the original drive or was it an upgrade from Win7?  If an upgrade, was Win7 the original HP OEM version of Win7 when the Win10 upgrade was installed?

You previously mentioned you booted using USB.  Is this just a special bootable updater or the full blown Windows 10 v1809 installer?

I just thought of something for you to try.  Boot into Windows 10.  Then hold the Shift key as you click Shutdown.   This should perform a full shutdown instead of the typical hibernation Win10 normally uses.  You can also go into the Settings app and disable "Fast Boot".   I'm not a Windows user so I forget exactly where that setting is located.   Now try booting to your USB updater to see if it will install.

FYI, it is not safe to make changes to a drive if the hibernation file is active.    Either perform a full shutdown or delete the hibernation file in order to write to the drive.  I have no idea if this is what is happening, but definitely worth a try.

Kilobyte Kid

I will give all those options a try. I definitely have hibernation active as the machine goes into hibernation every night after backing up so that my network can bring it up via magic packet the next morning. The Windows 10 installation on this machine is from a clean install of 1803. I tend to do a clean installation on all of my machines every couple of years as Windows seems to have tendency to eat itself alive over time. The only thing that has changed since the last time the installation process for 1809 started properly is the switching of the old Seagate to the MX500. The MX500 was originally in my Lenovo which died last fall. The Lenovo was nine years old and ran 1809 fine. I also have a Dell which is older than the HP and which is also running 1809 without problems. TheLenovo and Dell both have Intel processors and were both significantly faster than the HP. The HP is the machine that gives me themost problems and is the one I keep hoping will die, but it just keeps chugging along.

The USB installation attempt was from a USB installation downloaded from Microsoft using its installation tool to create a USB medium. I have not yet tried, as was suggested here, downloading 1809 from the catalog. At this point though, I think I may just wait and see what 1903 brings.

- Mike