can not format Crucial MX100 ssd

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

can not format Crucial MX100 ssd

i cant use my Crucial MX100 ssd with firm MU03 after working fine for 3 years, suddenly it dissapear from my pc. 

i can see the ssd but i cant format it, not even in a different pc.

i try installing windows on a laptop, i see the ssd is empty but windows cant format it.

any ideas?

thanks

16 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: can not format Crucial MX100 ssd

If hardware encryption or security options were enabled with the MX100 you will need to turn it off.  If you have another Windows PC, you could install Crucial Storage Executive and just do a PSID revert on the MX100.

Otherwise use the information in my other posts to determine if ATA Security is enabled or whether OPAL security is being used and I can provide instructions to disable them.   If the PSID revert does not work and the security options are disabled as confirmed with the linked posts, then we will need to check other things.

Kilobyte Kid

thank you for reply. i will try that later with usb.

the photo is from the pc

Crucial MX100 ssd MU03 error.jpg

Kilobyte Kid

ok with PSID revert on the MX100

but i still can not format it .Snap 2018-08-19 15.39.05.jpg

Snap 2018-08-19 15.38.03.jpgSnap 2018-08-19 15.46.24.jpgSnap 2018-08-19 15.50.27.jpg

Kilobyte Kid

something else i can try to revive my ssd?

thanks

JEDEC Jedi

From your screenshots it appears the PSID revert was successful.  The SMART Attributes look Ok except for attribute #199 Ultra-DMA CRC  Error Count which shows seven errors.   This is usually caused by a bad cable or connection.  Unfortunately we don't know whether this occurred on your main PC or another one you used.

Since you have another Windows PC available, try a Sanitize/Secure Erase on the SSD.  The SSD will need to be connected to an internal SATA port or externally using eSATA.

In order to eliminate a Windows issue, I would try creating & booting a Knoppix Linux USB drive.  Use Etcher to make a bootable USB drive.   After booting to the Knoppix desktop, launch the "Disks" app from the "Accessories" menu located on the Start menu.   The Disks app should provide an option to partition the SSD.  If it works here, then you have a Windows issue.  If it fails here too, then you have a hardware issue.  Another Linux app you can use to format drives that I believe is also available on the Knoppix drive is "GParted".

If Linux is unable to partition & format the SSD, then view the error log for more information.  Open a terminal and issue the following command to list the most recent entries:

sudo   dmesg  |   tail

If this does not provide any log output, you may need to boot Knoppix in debug mode to enable the system log.  Enter this command when Knoppix first launches to a command prompt (you have about 10-15 seconds before Knoppix will continue booting with default settings):

knoppix64   debug
Kilobyte Kid

i have a parted magic usb to try secure erase, but the ssd is already wiped.

1.jpg2.jpg

Kilobyte Kid

Secure Erase on the SSD ok.

WP_20180826_21_43_37_Pro - Αντιγραφή (2).jpgWP_20180826_21_42_09_Pro - Αντιγραφή (2).jpg

Kilobyte Kid

but still i cant format it...

WP_20180826_21_47_37_Pro (2).jpg

JEDEC Jedi

The only thing I can think to do is use Linux to view the logs related to the SSD communications to see if they reveal anything.  Did you try this with Knoppix?  Sometimes it is easier to view the information after the system boots and then connecting the drive using USB so the relevant entries are at the end of the log.  Viewing those logs after trying to format the SSD with "Disks" and "GParted" might provide more information.

Do you have any settings enabled in the BIOS/UEFI that would be protecting the drive from rogue software?

Just before you had problems with the MX100, did anything happen?  Did you perform any firmware updates on your system or SSD?  Did you install any software or updates?  Any power outages or other electrical issues?

Since you tried connecting the MX100 to different systems with the same result, it would appear to be an issue with the SSD.   It seems the drive may be in a read only state.  I know SSDs are supposed to do this when they reach end of life so that user data is accessible.  I'm not sure why your SSD is behaving this way.  For an SSD that is not recognized, Crucial recommends a power cycle technique to get the SSD recognized again, but your SSD is recognized and communicating enough to do a PSID revert & Secrue Erase, so I'm not sure if it will do any good.

Sometimes I will connect the SSD to power leaving the data cable disconnected (or leave the system sitting at the BIOS screen/boot menu) for an extended time or I will leave it disconnected from everything for an extended time so all electricity dissipates from it and then try it once more.