can not format Crucial MX100 ssd

JEDEC Jedi

Re: can not format Crucial MX100 ssd

@pcNek wrote:

Secure Erase on the SSD ok.

WP_20180826_21_43_37_Pro - Αντιγραφή (2).jpg

According to your screenshot it took 1 sec only but I believe it should take much longer on such SSD. It is yet another bad symptom.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

secure erase in many ssd i had tried with different brands, it took 1-15 sec.

i can try later in another ssd CRUCIAL MX300 i'm not using now because it is my backup from MX100  and i am afraid i may lose my data Smiley Very Happy

i can leave the ssd inside a laptop in bios all night , but i think maybe firmware problem.

JEDEC Jedi

@bogdan wrote:

According to your screenshot it took 1 sec only but I believe it should take much longer on such SSD. It is yet another bad symptom.

I've never done one but I always understood they were lightning fast?  I can't imagine it taking more than a few seconds based on the speed of free space trims.

Want to be a Super User?
Crucial Employee

Hello,

Thank you for your question. Usually when an I/O error happens, there is a bad connection or maybe a failing cable. I would look at changing the way the drive is connected to the system. If the drive connected through USB then move to SATA or different USB port. If the drive is inside a desktop then swap the SATA cable or move to a different SATA port. 

Crucial_AgentC, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Good catch @bogdan.  All of the Secure Erases that I've done take at least 15-30 seconds (sometimes longer).   @targetbsp it really surprised me how long it can actually take with some SSDs.

@pcNek  You need to check the logs either on Windows or using a Linux boot disk (or both).   Seeing the initial communication with the system & the SSD plus the entries when trying to access the drive and while trying to write to it might prove useful.  Connecting it with USB makes it easier to have all this information together at the end of the log.  It is good to note which entries are for which events.

Check the SMART Attributes again to see if attribute #199 Ultra-DMA CRC Error has increased.  If so you need to find out on which computer these errors are occurring.  This can also be done using Knoppix and GSmartControl (look for it on one of the menus) if one of the computers doesn't have its own boot drive.   This is good to do when taking Crucial_AgentC's advice.

Kilobyte Kid

i said that in my first post... 

after working fine for 3 years, suddenly it dissapear from my pc. 

i can see the ssd but i cant format it, not even in a different pc.

i try installing windows on a laptop, i see the ssd is empty but windows cant format it.

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

the SMART is the same, no change

after 1 desktop pc, 2 laptops , with usb , or only inside laptop trying to install windows... i still cant format it.

Snap 2018-08-29 at 18.48.48 - smart.jpg