can’t successfully install win7 x64 on striped mx500 connected to old P5P43TD Pro

Kilobyte Kid

can’t successfully install win7 x64 on striped mx500 connected to old P5P43TD Pro

help
5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: can’t successfully install win7 x64 on striped mx500 connected to old P5P43TD Pro

You might need to provide a little more info Smiley Happy

Like at what point is it failing?  Installer can't see the drives?  Failing during install? Failing to boot after install?

What error messages if any are you seeing?

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Re: can’t successfully install win7 x64 on striped mx500 connected to old P5P43TD Pro

Also... what version is the RAID ROM on a board that old?  I've a feeling you need 8.5 or better.  At least... I had an old system modified up to 8.5 for SSD's.

Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
Crucial Employee

Just would like to point out the ICH10R chipset for that motherboard doesn't appear to officially support Windows 7. The latest SATA/RAID driver package that ASUS provides on their website is Vista. Looking on Intel's website I can only find drivers for that chipset for Server 2008/2010.

So your issue is likely a result of trying to Install Windows on an old RAID chipset with no officially supported drivers. Problems like this are often exacerbated by using very new SSD/HDDs. An older drive with an older controller may work, but with newer controllers you're more and more likely to run into an issue.

Could you please provide details as to exactly what the issue is you are having? Do you create the RAID array, then when you go to install Windows the installer doesn't show the array?

If you can't see the array you probably simply wont get RAID to work on that old board, and will need to try AHCI or IDE mode. Alternatives to buying a newer motherboard that supports WIndows 7 completely, would be purchasing a PCIe to SATA RAID card with Windows 7 support.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

hi, all
thanks for the replies, my NAS failed and out of warranty, so i have to ressurect an old PC to serve my system while i'm trying to get a new NAS
that board is okay, P5P43TD has 6 SATA ports and the last 4 (port 2,3,4,5) have 4x old 250GB barracudas striped while port 0 was attached to an also old 40GB OCZ Vertex Smiley Tongue for OS drive
and port 1 had sata optical drive.
i bought 2x MX500 500GB to fill those 2 ports, striped them into 1TB to serve as an OS and a little bit of storage to help the old barracudas holding my data.
installed W7 from usb storage, and the process failed after first reboot with (w7 could not be installed in to your hardware) or something like that i didn't take a photograph
tried 2nd install with the RAID controller disabled and it was a success.

Kilobyte Kid

Hi, 
array creation was successful and w7 installer was able to all the necessary; create volume, format, copying files etc
it was just after the first boot the installer refused to continue, saying than w7 can not be installed on my current hardware
i bought 2x 500gb and not 1x 1tb because i have plan to put them into my 2 laptops after my problem is sorted (getting a new NAS)
and it won't be happening soon gosh, they're costly :'( 
i need to sort this problem first, it's hard to have your data split into 3 different drives Smiley Sad
i don't mind a little bit tinkering and maybe buy a modern PCI SATA RAID card (if that's the only cheap way out)

ps. 
i run an unofficial foundation (private) to help educating children (in a developing country) so yeah i'm a little bit financially handicapped