crucial m550 hdd bios removal options

Kilobyte Kid

crucial m550 hdd bios removal options

can anyone remove my m550 1tb hdd bios password

some one spilled on mylaptop and ruined it and I want my data still but its locked to the ruined laptop

9 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: crucial m550 hdd bios removal options

From what I've just googled, you should be able to just enter the password on the new computer.  However, it also seems BIOS security implementations vary and you may need to unlock it in a similar model.

There's no back door way to access the data.  That would largely default the point of the security!

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

If you are unable to unlock the SSD from the BIOS of another computer as @targetbsp suggested, then it may be possible to do so using a Linux USB boot disk, although it depends upon whether the original BIOS followed standards when saving the password on the SSD.  If you need details on this option let me know and I can provide the instructions for you.

Kilobyte Kid

no, the hdd is not accessable after bootup. it requires a password to boot from motherboard boot so nothing will detect the drive as working after bootup.  I need to enter the code at bootup and all other pcs will not accept the password.  this bios hdd pw seems like junk when you consider hardware failure problems and being able to access your data when it happens.  I lost all my data because of a spill on the notebook and now they are telling me to format it with storage executive pro which does not detect the hdd on a second sata or usb connection so it is not even usuable

JEDEC Jedi

I can provide instructions on how to attempt to unlock the SSD using Linux tools (it is not that hard to do), but it does depend on the BIOS that locked the drive in the first place.  At this point you don't know if the original system BIOS twisted the password or whether the other motherboards are the ones twisting the password.  The Linux option bypasses the BIOS unlock and will use your password to unlock the SSD directly if the original system followed the standard.  It also assumes the SSD wasn't damaged in the liquid spill.   If you want the instructions I will be happy to provide them, but will have to write them up tonight.  Just let me know.  I have done this before with a Dell so I know it can work.  I'm not aware of any Windows tools to do this, but I also don't use Windows much these days.

You could send your SSD to a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers.   They have the ability to retrieve your data from the locked SSD as long as you have the password and can provide details on the laptop that locked it.

Or you could try to borrow/buy the same model laptop and try unlocking it.

This is one of the negatives when using encrypted devices (especially hardware encryption) as it makes it very difficult for the average person to retrieve data even when they have the password or recovery key when the computer is non-functional.  Good verified working backups are essential when dealing with SSDs or encrypted systems  for just this reason.

JEDEC Jedi

Create a bootable Knoppix Linux USB drive using Etcher.   Boot the Knoppix drive and wait until it loads the Desktop, then connect your M550 using a USB adapter.  

First we will need to get the Linux identifier for the M550.  This is easiest to do by launching GSmartControl which I believe is located on the "System Tools" menu on the Start Menu.  Locate your M550 and see what designation is assigned to it.  It should be something like "sda", "sdb", or "sdc", etc.

Now open a Terminal (the black icon on the Taskbar) and enter the following command to confirm you have the correct drive identifier.  Substitute "sdX" with the Linux identifier from the previous step.  This applies to all later commands too.

sudo   hdparm  -I  /dev/sdX    |   grep  -i   model

Example:  If the Linux identifier for the SSD is "sda", then the command would look like this:

sudo   hdparm  -I  /dev/sda    |   grep  -i   model

Once you have the correct Linux identifier for the M550, issue this command to unlock the SSD for this session so you can copy data to another drive or network share:

sudo  hdparm  --user-master  u   --security-unlock   <password>    /dev/sdX

Substitute your SSD's BIOS password for "<password>" without the brackets or double quotes.  If it does not unlock then try enclosing your password in double quotes.

sudo  hdparm  --user-master  u   --security-unlock   "<password>"    /dev/sdX

Or this command to disable the security on the drive so it can be connected to other systems to access your data:

sudo   hdparm   --user-master  u    --security-disable   <password>    /dev/sdX

Using the first option (unlock) keeps your security enabled on the next reboot so your data is still inaccessable without the password.  The second option (disable) will completely remove the password so the drive can be accessed with any system without a password, but you can re-enable a security password using the following command (make sure to verify the Linux identifier before performing the command as it  may change between reboots):

sudo   hdparm   --user-master  u   --security-enable   <password>   /dev/sdX

Note:  Do not use NULL or empty quotes such as "", as it could brick your drive depending on how the drive handles it.

If you are not sure if any of the  commands worked, then run the following command to  check on the current security status of your SSD:

sudo   hdparm   -I   /dev/sdX   |   grep  -i  ^security  -A4  |  tail -n2

If you see:

enabled

then your drive is secured with a password and is currently locked so you cannot access the data on the drive.  If you see:

enabled
not   locked

then security is still enabled on the drive, but it is currently unlocked so you can access the data.  The drive will be locked again after the system reboots or shuts down.  If you see:

not   enabled
not   locked

then the security feature has been disabled and the data on the drive can be accessed with any system you connect it without requiring the SSD's password.

If these commands do not work, then the BIOS on your liquid damaged laptop must have modified the password.   If you originally entered your password all in lower case, you could try entering it here in all upper case, otherwise it is impossible to tell how it might have modified it.  If this doesn't work your only options are to find another identical or near identical system or send the SSD to a professional data recovery center.

If you have any problems with these instructions, let me know.  I believe I have typed the commands correctly.  None of these commands should cause any harm to your drive or system with the exception of the one to enable security.

Good Luck.

Kilobyte Kid

I tried the knoppix and the commands work but I cant remember the password

Is there a way I can just format this drive to continue using it.

Id like to use linux.  The storage executive software did not find my second hard drive when I tried to access it with several computers

JEDEC Jedi

Post the output of the following command making sure to substitute "sdX" with the correct Linux identifier for your SSD:

sudo  hdparm  -I  /dev/sdX  |  grep  -iE  '^security'  -A8

Kilobyte Kid

knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo hdparm -I /dev/sdc | grep -iE '^security' -A8
Security:
Master password revision code = 65534
supported
enabled
not frozen
not expired: security count
supported: enhanced erase
Security level high

JEDEC Jedi

No Master password is set as shown by the value "Master password revision code = 65534".  Since there is no master password and you were not able to unlock the drive using the Linux commands  (hopefully using the correct password) I'm assuming the laptop BIOS modified your password before saving it to the SSD.   This means the only way you can unlock the drive or disable the security lock is by installing this SSD into an identical model laptop and disabling the password using the BIOS.  You could try disabling the password using another near identical model if you have access, but there is no guarantee the manufacturer implemented the BIOS hard drive password in the same manner to allow you to unlock the drive.

If you don't have access to another system to disable the password (or you suddenly realize you tried the wrong password), then this drive is permanently locked and cannot be reused.