iMac SSD second drive cabling

Kilobyte Kid

iMac SSD second drive cabling

I bought an MX500 500GB SSD to install in my mid 2011 27" iMac and was half way through the install today, when I realised I haven't got the correct cable. Chatting with Live chat last week I was advised to buy this cable. However, I now realise I need to get an additional power cable ( I don't want to replace my Optical Drive). Will any power cable work, for example this one, or do I have to buy a specific cable? The problem is I can't see any on Crucial's website.

2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: iMac SSD second drive cabling

This is the cable I believe you need.  Here is a direct link to the official site.  I've also seen it on Amazon.  Apple in their infinite stupidity & shortsightedness doesn't believe in working with standard components these days.   They use customized firmware on their name brand drives to utilize the drive's internal thermal sensor.   So when using ANY drive (including some Apple drives not designed specifically for your system), the iMac won't be able to monitor the drive's temperature so the system will default to running the fan at high speed for safety to keep the system from overheating.

After installing, run the Apple Hardware Test by booting the system by holding down the Option+D keys just after powering on the system.  If all goes well, you won't hear the fans while booting.

Kilobyte Kid

Re: iMac SSD second drive cabling

Just as an update for anyone else you wishes to keep their original iMac HD and fit an SSD as a second drive, crucial does not offer a cable to do this. I bought a cable from ebay – search "New iMac 27-inch Mid 2011 1419/1312 Cable SSD Data Power A1312 593-1330" – for £8. No temperature management needed, just plugged straight into the spare slot on the logic board and provides SATA III 6GB/s throughput according to system report.