mx500 in Dell Inspiron 15 won't get past Dell logo on boot

Kilobyte Kid

mx500 in Dell Inspiron 15 won't get past Dell logo on boot

Hi....I used the Linux boot of Aronis to clone my internal drive, all partitions went fine. Installed the MX500, and can't get past the Dell logo in POST. No errors, nothing, just sits there. The drive shows up correctly in the BIOS boot order, curiously has "(cloned)" in the description. I've toggled everything I can thing of...fast boot, UEFI, Secure Boot, Legacy Boot, etc.

Seen some posts about using Windows bootable media and replacing some boot files, but those all reference encountering error messages. I have no messages, but as I said, it seems to be recognized.

Any thoughts would be well appreciated, please!

Thank you,

Jeff

2 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: mx500 in Dell Inspiron 15 won't get past Dell logo on boot

Make sure to return the BIOS/UEFI settings back to their original values.   Most of those settings will cause an existing Windows installation to complain.  Toggling "Secure Boot" on or off usually won't hurt anything except when hardware encyrption is enabled.  Usually you only want to change those settings before (re)installing Windows.  I'm assuming your system is booting using UEFI since were toggling these settings.

Boot from the Windows installer and select "Repair this computer" link and navigate to   Troubleshooting --> Advanced  --> Startup Repair.   Windows will try to automatically fix any boot issues and will hopefully make sure Windows is registered in the UEFI boot menu.  You can download a Windows installer direct from Microsoft.   Sometimes you may need to clear out the BIOS/UEFI boot entries (maybe even adding it manually).

If you were using Bitlocker on the original drive, perhaps there is some TPM UEFI setting in the BIOS that is interfering.  Maybe deactivate and disable the TPM since it shouldn't be needed on the clone at this point.

Kilobyte Kid

Re: mx500 in Dell Inspiron 15 won't get past Dell logo on boot

Thanks for replying! I've tried resetting the values to default, and tried a re-cloning, no change. No Bitlocker.

I haven't tried the Windows install booter, so I will do that and report back.

Thanks again!

Jeff