"This copy of Windows is not Genuine

SOLVED
Bit Baby

"This copy of Windows is not Genuine

Getting this error on Toshiba Satellite Pro (i3) running W7 64bit.

Cloned with Acronis as per Crucial's instructions

Machine has been running perfectly until today.  My guess is that it was the most recent Windows update.

Now desktop background is black with message "Windows 7 / Build 7601 / This copy of Windows is not genuine"

From forum archive I can see there are suggestions to install latest Intel IRST driver.  However I cannot identify which one to install and Intel's docs seem to be saying it isnt needed on my system.

I am about to do an SSD update on 20 more laptops, some the same as this one and some different.

Is there a definitive way to identify what Intel driver to install on each,, assuming that is the correct solution?

I love the SSD drive but I am disappointed that Crucial didn't include info about this issue.  From Crucial's system scan it might have identified this up front and saved me (and many other) this hassle.

3 Replies
Highlighted
Bit Baby

Re: "This copy of Windows is not Genuine

Solved - here are details in case someone else runs into this.

This issue was unrelated to my SSD upgrade. 

After rebooting, Windows again told me it was not genuine but this time I was given the option to re-enter the Windows Product Code.  I put in the one on the bottom of the laptop and it verified ok. 

Not sure why, but my guess is that my laptop had been restored from a recovery disk that had been created on a different physical laptop, so the disk installe ok but was using the wrong product code, which was only detected once Windows was updated to a version that checks this.

JEDEC Jedi

As far as I can remember sometimes some windows services (including these related to windows activation technologies) may be broken after cloning to an SSD. This may be caused by an old/improper AHCI driver, indeed. One solution could be uninstalling Intel driver in favour of built-in msahci driver - the process is described in this article.

If you are looking for a driver that should work with your system please post the exact model of your Toshiba Satellite Pro. Other way would be to try the drivers from this page, starting from the newest one and possibly trying older drivers in case newer drivers wouldn't install. Do not install Intel Matrix drivers, they do not work well with SSDs.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

I can see you have found a solution - thanks for an update Smiley Happy 

I will keep my former post in this thread visible in case someone would be searching for a similar solution.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?