restore from a 500gb to a 1tb ssd filled it all?

Bit Baby

restore from a 500gb to a 1tb ssd filled it all?

Hello 

I have a mid 2012 macbook pro .

I followed the crucial video and instructions for mac for my OS system el capitan(sierra). The restore (using disc utility) to my new ssd 1TB (mx500) took 5 hrs but no errors. When it finally finsihed i was suprized to see that my new ssd was completley full? Even though my mac book pro only has 500gb and was not full?

Is this just what it always does after a restore? How can i check that it works before i physically open my mac and put in the new ssd? Or is somthing wrong?

Thanks for the help. Seasons greetings

4 Replies
Crucial Employee

Re: restore from a 500gb to a 1tb ssd filled it all?

Where are you seeing that the drive is completely full? 

Could you please provide a screenshot of what your Disk Utility Screen looks like, or any info you see that's showing your drive is full.

If your SSD was entirely full, the OSx wouldn't even load, I assume you can load your OS and everything appears to work, correct?

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

I'm guessing what's happened here is it copied the 500GB partition as is to the 1TB drive.  And the partition just needs resized to 1TB?  But I have no clue how you do that on Mac.

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Highlighted
Bit Baby

**Update**

After I shut everything down and plugged the SSD and adapter back into the computer the SSD was showing the correct GB( over 500 GB free).

I followed the video links on the crucial website and did the physical install plus installed some new RAM.  Worked out perfect.!

About 5 hrs to clone (restore) and 35 min to do all the install.

Thanks for the help.! Im a happy crucial community member!

JEDEC Jedi

@r_francis  FYI, you can hold down the Option key while powering the system on and it will present you with boot options.  External options have orange icons.  OSX can boot from external devices without any problems though it may be slower due to the USB interface.

Glad everything is working for you.