ssd mx500 won't boot

Bit Baby

ssd mx500 won't boot

hello, I've just bought an mx 500 ssd for my pc to boot from but after hours of attems and research I can't get it boot. I eventually got to find it in explorer with all the cloned files on it but no matter what I do I can't get it to boot from it, it keeps saying bootmanger is missing. the only way I've found to get it to boot from it (I think) was to clone the 100Mb system reserved partition from another disk and then do a system restore from a backup without wiping that off but then it just boots to a blank screen and a message saying this copy of windows is not gunuine and nothing to click or right click on. I've tried everything I can think of with diskpart bootbcd etc but to no avail, due partly to a duff windows disk I can't even do install windows freah and then recover the current version on top of it. I'm running windows 7 sp1, amd fx 4130 quad core processor 4GHz, asus M5A99x motherboard.

rob

2 Replies
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Re: ssd mx500 won't boot

@livesteamrob wrote:

due partly to a duff windows disk

If it helps, you can download Windows iso's legitimately here using your product key: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
JEDEC Jedi

Re: ssd mx500 won't boot

Is your system booting in UEFI mode or Legacy MBR mode?  If it is booting in Legacy MBR, then make sure the System partition is marked "Active" or "Bootable".  If UEFI mode, then the problem could be on the EFI/ESP partiton or the regular System partition.

Be careful copying/cloning another system partition as it can contain a lot of boot configuration files and even incompatible versions of the files.  I've been able to use a Linux drive to leverage its GRUB2 bootloader to jump into a broken Windows system.  It helped me to make some sense of the multiple boot files & config files found on all of the Windows partitions (sometimes several to a partition).    I still cannot understand the jumbled mess, but it did help me get it booting on its own again.  If you need boot files like "bootmgr", etc. you can do so using 7zip to extract them from the Windows installer "/sources/install.wim" file (this file name may be different for Win8/10) and you may also havesome of them on the "Recovery" partition.   Sometimes you have to delete (or better yet rename) the boot configuration files and run all the tools you mentioned again.  You may need to do this on a partition you wouldn't expect.

FYI, some OEM product keys won't be accepted for downloading the Win7 installer from Microsoft.  I recently tried to download a fresh copy using a product key from an HP laptop and MS rejected it.  I don't know why they worry about people acquiring the ISO since you still need a valid key to activate Windows.  Sometimes you just need it to repair a broken installation.  I'm glad this isn't necessary for the Win8/10 ISOs.

AFAIK you should be able to use any valid Win7 installer or ISO since every installer includes Home, Pro, and Ultimate on it.  It must match the architecture for your system though (32bit or 64bit).  You may also need to manually create a bootable USB drive or remaster the ISO  to remove the "ei.cfg" file so you are presented with the choice of which version of Win7 to install.  I just recently did this myself.