Deceased SSD

Kilobyte Kid

Deceased SSD

I brought my MX500 500 GB off Crucial on Amazon about 6 months back. It is advertised as having a limited 5-year warrentry but Amazon only accept returns of unopened items within 30 days. I dont know how to do it through Crucial?

The issue is my SSD died after 2 months of use. Having recently been looking at buying a new one someone has told me to check if there was a warrentry first. It is advertised on Amazon as having one and I brought the device in March 2018 so its only six months old. Can and how do I get a replacement? There is no physical damage, it has been used normally, it just blue screened my pc after 2 months of use.

4 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Deceased SSD

Also, if a return happens what happens to the data on my SSD?

By that I mean I dont want anybody accessing my share trading platform and logins which are on it?

JEDEC Jedi

If your SSD has been working fine for two months, then the problem could be with any component in your system or even more likely just a software issue.  To see if your SSD could be causing the problem, it would help if you would post the SMART Attributes of your SSD. 

If you can boot Windows, then you can either install Crucial Storage Executive or GSmartControl to get a screenshot of the SMART Attributes.  If Windows won't boot, then create a Knoppix USB drive  using Etcher and use GSmartControl from the "Start Menu --> System Tools".   Double-click on your SSD and select the "Attributes" tab (make sure to capture all the attributes) and click on the "Errors" tab and post any errors listed.

You should also check your Event Viewer logs to see what the Blue Screen error code is and research the possible causes.  

Have you noticed a pattern in the blue screens?  Does it happen only with certain apps open, or after waking from sleep, booting, or after longs hours of use?  Have you installed any new programs just before this started to happen?  If you are running Win10, did it start after installing the Spring Update 18.03?

If you don't do some basic troubleshooting, then you may find you end up with the exact same problem with a replacement SSD.

To exchange your SSD you can contact Crucial Support directly or use their online RMA form.  This may vary by region.  See the links on the left side under "Crucial.com Orders".

Kilobyte Kid

My SSD is not detected by my PC, and swapping over cables with one of my other devices still doesnt show it. Storage Executive does not detect an SSD drive. I cannot initialise the SSD and it doesnt show in device manager. I have been through this following advice from several sites, it is dead.

I dont have blue screens, I had one blue screen which was when my SSD died. Upon rebooting my PC tried to recover my Win10 OEM install but it couldnt. I had to buy a retail version of Win10 and put it onto my ordinary HDD to get my computer back up and running. No blue screens have occured since, I cannot get my computer to even detect my SSD card. I think it might be some bad soldering inside as a SSD shouldnt be failing after 2 months.

While I did buy it in March 2018 it didnt die during that month so it isnt the Win10 spring update. It died at the end of May.

JEDEC Jedi

Sorry, from your original post it did not seem any troubleshooting had been done.  Have you tried the power cycling technique to bring your SSD back to life? 

FYI, If you were using hardware encryption on your SSD it may not show up normally with many utilities.

I mentioned the Win10 Spring Update as many people only get access to it months later and those updates do have a history of causing problems with SSDs.

I didn't see your second post earlier (2nd time today that has happened).  If you were using any type of encryption on your SSD or the folder with the privileged data, then you should be safe when you RMA the drive.  If your drive is not encrypted then you will need to put your trust in Crucial if you RMA the drive.    

As for the SSD suddenly failing I have seen it happen more times than I like especially on the early models of popular name brand drives.   I have only had one Crucial drive fail on me so far in that way.  The SSD is a very complicated system as there is basically another computer in the drive and the internal technology keeps changing with every new product.

FYI, you can download the latest Windows 10 installer direct from Microsoft.  I have used it successfully even on OEM systems.  You do need a non-OEM key for the Win7 download though.