Warranty on items bought off third-party sites (not listed on crucial.com)

Kilobyte Kid

Warranty on items bought off third-party sites (not listed on crucial.com)

I was just with a rep on crucial live chat and the rep told me that only hard drives purchased from sellers listed on crucial's website are covered by crucial warranty. List

That is a very limited list of "official" resellers and doesn't include many popular sites like Adorama, Staples, OfficeDepot etc. Just wanted to confirm whether the information I was given by live chat rep is accurate.

Also, there are stores on ebay that sell brand new/sealed drives as well. What about those?

Tags (1)
2 Replies
Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Warranty on items bought off third-party sites (not listed on crucial.com)

Anyone? What about if someone gifts me the item? Do I need to get receipt from them for original purchase?

JEDEC Jedi

Re: Warranty on items bought off third-party sites (not listed on crucial.com)

Some TV & high end electronics manufacturers have strict policies such as only honoring a product warranty if the item is purchased directly from an authorized reseller as they don't want other vendors selling items at a discount which hurts their authorized partners which sell the product at higher margins.    Usually warranties from these companies will only apply to the original purchaser which would be the unauthorized reseller.  I'm not aware of Crucial doing this, but I may be wrong.  

If you contact Crucial for a warranty replacement and you don't have a receipt, they can try to look up the part serial# in their database to see if they have a record of it.  I had to claim a warranty on memory one time because it was not purchased directly from Crucial & I did not have the relevant information (I don't recall how we acquired the memory originally).  I had no problems getting it exchanged as they had a record of it in their system.   If a verified purchase date cannot be found, then many companies will base the warranty period on the date of manufacture.

You can check out the details of Crucial's Warranty policy here.