Does this RAM work on the new 27" iMac 2017?

Bit Baby

Does this RAM work on the new 27" iMac 2017?

Hi,

I want to know if this RAM is working for my new iMac 2017.

My specs are:

27-inch iMac 2017 with Retina 5K-display

4,2‑GHz quad‑core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost 4,5 GHz

8 GB 2400‑MHz DDR4

SSD 512 GB

Radeon Pro 580 8 GB memory

I saw also this one, but now I'm confused. If someone can help me, I will be really thankfull!

Thanks,

Olav

3 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Does this RAM work on the new 27" iMac 2017?

@olavdb Thanks for contacting us today. We recommend this part over CT2K16G4SFD824A. CT2K16G4SFD824A has not been tested as compatible with your new iMac. The Mac specific RAM are the parts that are tested, qualified, and guaranteed are compatible. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?

Want to enter our contest for December? More info can be found here.
Bit Baby

I thought my 8GB is good enough for now but after making about 20videos my imac slowed down and I cant see smoothly the videos on FCPX while editing... Is it because of my memory which is 8GB?

[Edited to remove SPAM content]

JEDEC Jedi

@nadhim wrote:

I thought my 8GB is good enough for now but after making about 20videos my imac slowed down and I cant see smoothly the videos on FCPX while editing... Is it because of my memory which is 8GB?

If your iMac is using a hard drive you should check to see if it might be starting to fail.  If things were fine and just suddenly got worse, I would suspect the hard drive.   You can use SmartReporter or DriveDx to check your drive.  You should manually check the RAW values of the following SMART attributes and if they are non-zero, the drive is failing:  Reallocated Sectors, Reallocated Event Count, Reported Uncorrectable Errors, and Current Pending Sectors.    Also check the Value/Worst value of the Load Cycle Count if the drive has this attribute.  If it shows as "001" then the drive is possibly failing and is definitely on life support and this was caused by having OSX "putting the drive to sleep when possible" setting in Energy Saver.

Check to make sure you are not running out of free space on your drive.

I'm actually surprised you can even edit videos using just 8GB of RAM.