MacBook Pro Late 2011 - RAM upgrade 4GB to 16 GB - High CPU temperature and crashes

Bit Baby

Re: MacBook Pro Late 2011 - RAM upgrade 4GB to 16 GB - High CPU temperature and crashes

Did this get resolved? If so what was the outcome, thanks

Kilobyte Kid

Re: MacBook Pro Late 2011 - RAM upgrade 4GB to 16 GB - High CPU temperature and crashes

I'm continuing to have this problem about once every 6 to 8 weeks. I am probably not going to call. It's too intermittent. Also, on this Apple Communities thread it appears others who have installed new SSDs and RAM on Macs have had the same problem, even if the hardware is not from Crucial: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6653024

My advice: If you're upgrading an old mac, buy 8 GB of RAM, not 16. Even though Crucial and others say your model can take 16GB, don't do it. It will just intermittently overheat. That has been my experience.

Kate

Bit Baby

I know this is an old thread, but I just recently upgraded my HDD and RAM on my old 2011 early Macbook Pro with Crucial RAM.  I have read forum after forum and have tried everything related to the crashes.  My computer will just not start now and just gives me the scary beeps.  This morning, I put the old RAM (original) back in, and it started up fine - and running just fine.

Is there an update link for any of this? I have all the latest software.  It could just be that, well, the machine is now 7 years old and  the combination of the new OS system and newer RAM is just too much for it's old bones.

It did run OK, for a day or so (intermittent restart problems, etc.) and I read forum post after forum post trying everything.  Finally gave up.   It's been sitting in my backpack for a couple weeks and last night was the first time I tried to start it.  And it would not.

In any case, if anyone is still checking this forum, appreciate any update links or responses.  I do not have another machine to test the RAM on.

Highlighted
Community Manager

@gaberieger I am sorry for the issues that you experienced with your RAM. Please contact us directly using the information in my signature. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?