System Profiler shows no part/serial number

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

System Profiler shows no part/serial number

I purchased 2 x 2GB DDR3 memory modules (CT25664BC1067) for my MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch DDR3) MB467LL/A Notebook.

However, after installing the system profiler shows the following:

BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: 2 GB

Type: DDR3

Speed: 1067 MHz

Manufacturer: 0x0D9B

Part Number: 0x000000000000000000000000000000000000

Serial Number: 0x00000000

BANK 0/DIMM1:

Size: 2 GB

Type: DDR3

Speed: 1067 MHz

Manufacturer: 0x802C

Part Number: 0x31364A53463235363634485A2D3147314631

Serial Number: 0xDD5CD984

Why is the one module showing a different manufacturer with no part and serial number?  I tried installing the memory module alone in each slot, however, it still shows no part or serial number. According to your FAQs, you should install memory in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance. Should I be concerned?  Should I exchange the memory which is not showing the part and serial numbers?  

Thanks,

Ron

3 Replies

Re: System Profiler shows no part/serial number

Hi Ron,

This is not something I've come across before.  It could just be a reporting error with the System Profiler rather than a problem with the module itself.

Could you check the Crucial part number (including extension) that appears on each module label?  If this is the same then I can assure you, you have a matched pair.

Does the memory work ok or are you having stability issues?  If you are concerned there is a problem with the part then please try running the Apple hardware test CD that shipped with your system.  This will check the hardware and report if there are any faults, in which case, we can exchange the module.

Please also ensure that you have the latest firmware updates for your system.

Please let us know if you require any further support.

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

Hi Maulmod

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have the latest updates for my system.  I don't believe I have a matched pair.  Below is the label information.  The one labeled United States is the one which is not showing the part and serial number.  I tried in both slots but still reports the same.  I also did a search and found another person reporting a similar issue: http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-769884.html

United States
CT25664BC1067.M16SFD
BL1119V.S3
200939 LE
109390 (this is the # after bar code)

Singapore
CT25664BC1067.16FF
BP1136F.NG
200929 MT
111920 (this is the # after bar code)

Thanks,

Ron

Hi Ron,

Although the parts are essentially the same, you have two different revisions of it.  This should not really cause any problems but since it is not reporting correctly and your system is dual channel (needs matched pairs for best performance), I would suggest swapping these out for you for an identical pair.  It is possible that when you ordered you selected 2x single 2GB modules rather than ordering the 4GB kit which guarantees you get a matched pair.

If you call our Customer Support department they can set up a return for you. Be sure to use the proper link for your location, and reference this thread so they can see the troubleshooting you have done.

US Customer Service

UK/EU Customer Service

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service