iMac 27'' late 2015 5K crashes & robots with 4 x 8GB DDR3L - 1866 Soddimm upgrade

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

iMac 27'' late 2015 5K crashes & robots with 4 x 8GB DDR3L - 1866 Soddimm upgrade

Hello everyone,

I purchased 2 kits of 2x 8GB DD3L - 1866 Sodimm - to upgrade my 8GB Imac.  I tried everything but nothing works. It feels like I'm getting ripped off by Crucial. A lot off money down the drain ?

What are the solutions that Crucial is offering ? I'm getting frustrated.  

Thanks in advance,

Bartoloman 

4 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: iMac 27'' late 2015 5K crashes & robots with 4 x 8GB DDR3L - 1866 Soddimm upgrade

Have you tried removing all memory &  installing just one new stick at a time in the same slot to see if one of the new modules may be bad?   

Have you tried installing doing the same with the other slot?   This will identify if one of the slots might have an issue.

If you reinstall the original memory, does the system work properly?

Try an SMC & PRAM reset with the new memory installed to see if it solves your problem.   With the PRAM reset, let it cycle about three times (look for your screen to flicker slightly) or hold the keys for about a minute (screen should be black or gray with no text or icons).

What version of OSX are you running?

Did you order the memory using a link provided by the Crucial Advisor Tool or Crucial System Scanner?  If not, you may want to chat with Crucial Support to confirm the memory you purchased is compatible with your iMac.  Even if you purchased it from a recommend link, there is always a slim chance you were sent the incorrect part.

Try running the Apple Diagnostic with the new memory installed.   You might want to try running Memtest86 as well (you can try using Etcher to create a bootable USB drive for Memtest86).  If it shows errors, try one new stick by itself to see if you can isolate which stick or slot might be at issue.  Also try Memtest86 with the original memory just to make sure it works without any errors on your system.   I haven't used Memtest86 enough to know how compatible it is with Apple systems.   These tests may not find any issues, but if they do it may be easier to reproduce problems than using your system normally and it eliminates possible software issues.

Kilobyte Kid

Re: iMac 27'' late 2015 5K crashes & robots with 4 x 8GB DDR3L - 1866 Soddimm upgrade

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. I'm gonna try the suggestions you made tonight, one thing I can already say is that the Imac with the old Apple memory works fine. I keep you updated. Thanks in advance, Bart

JEDEC Jedi

@Bartoloman,  My suggestion to run MemTest86 on the original memory is to make sure Memtest86 is compatible with your computer.   While Memtest86 is a good program I find from time to time that certain systems will report errors even with good working memory.

Good luck.

Kilobyte Kid

Update :

I did some extensive test an found out that one of the 4 memory is faulty. That's why I'm having this crashes. Without it and all the slots covered (3 slots with crucial memory and 1 slot with the old Apple memory) there are no issues. So I obliged to ask for a replacement.

Many thanks for the advice,

Bart