iMac 27" 2011 memory update

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

iMac 27" 2011 memory update

Hi guys.

I need some advice regarding upgrading the memory on my iMac when i recieve it from Apple in a few days. The iMac ive purchased come installed with 4GB (two 2GB) of 1333MHz DDR3 memory and I want to either upgrade it to 8GB (buying 2x 2GB memory) or upgrading it to 16GB (buying 4x 4GB memory).

Im not the most advanced in this side of things when it comes to computers so I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of what memory I should buy from here. Ive heard that on the iMac's, it's not possible to 'mix and match' the memory inside the system (i.e having 2x 2GB and 2x 4GB), Is this true? as some say it is and some say it isnt.

Thanks for yor time,

Gari.

6 Replies
Highlighted

Re: iMac 27" 2011 memory update

Hi Gari,

It really depends what kind of activities you will be doing & therefore how much memory you actually need.  I would suggest starting with an 8GB upgrade (2x4GB) and add this to the 4GB the system comes with- this should be fine to do, the only thing we recommend is that you install the largest modules in the first banks so you may have to remove the original memory, put the new memory in those slots & then move the originals to the empty slots.  You could then upgrade again at a later date by removing the 2x2GB and replacing with another 2x 4GB to reach the maximum should you need to.

There are a couple of different versions of this model (different processors etc) so if you could let us know the exact model you have opted for we can send you a link to the compatible memory & installation guides to help you further.

Thanks

Maulmod, Crucial Moderator UK

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France | Global
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Kilobyte Kid

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

Ive decided that  im either going to go for 2x4GB or buy 4x4GB and take out the RAM that is installed already in the iMac by Apple.

With regards to which model im getting, its this one here - http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac/select

iMac 27" 2.7 GHz model.

Cheers.

Crucial Employee

Hi Gari14,

We actually have a great instruction video on our Tribal Knowledge Base please see the following link for details.

iMac

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Awesome, cheers.

Just watched the video and that is very easy indeed. I knew it was meant to be easy but didn't think it would be that simple. Great stuff.

Thanks again.
Kilobyte Kid

Good evening,

I must admit this is a great forum and I have to thank the Apple consultant who put me onto this site.

I am also thinking of purchasing an Imac 2.7 Ghz quad core i5 with 6Mb on-chip shared L3 cache.  It comes with 4Mb installed but to upgrade to 8Mb is going to cost an additional £160.  I was somewhat surprised when Crucial quoted me 8Mb for less than £35.00.  Is there a down side to upgrading after purchase, for example affecting any warranty?

I watched the video and cannot believe how simple it is to upgrade.  You suggested an upgrade to 12Mb, new 8Mb plus 4Mb already installed.  THe video however only had two banks.  Does the IMac 2.7 differ from the one used in the video?

Thank a lot guys for your assistance.

Regards

Dee.

Crucial Employee

Hi Deeveetee,

The 2.7GHz i5 iMac does have four slots and can support up to 16GB in total.

The memory we sell is only of the highest quality so there is no downside to chosing Crucial memory over any other supplier.  In regards to the warranty upgrading RAM normally does not cause any problems with that at all, I would recommend you check your warranty details first just to make sure.

Installing the memory in your system is much the same as the video I posted only as you say there are four memory slots.  If you go ahead with the memory please feel free to contact our customer service team who would be happy to talk you through the installation.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

Want to be a Super User?