upgrade ram 16 gb macbook pro 13 inch mid 2012 2,5 ghz intel core i5

Bit Baby

upgrade ram 16 gb macbook pro 13 inch mid 2012 2,5 ghz intel core i5

hi, i have a macbook pro 13 inch mid 2012 2,5 ghz intel core i5.

the crucial system scanner offers me an upgrade to 16gb of ram. it is really compatible for my mac?

thanks!

7 Replies
Community Manager

Re: upgrade ram 16 gb macbook pro 13 inch mid 2012 2,5 ghz intel core i5

Hi psitsolution,

Thank you for contacting us. Yes, your Mid 2012 Mac Min can be upgraded to 16GB of RAM. Apple released this system prior to 8GB modules becoming available. They do not go back and update documentation once a system is released. However, we do since we manufacture the RAM. We can guarantee that your system can be upgraded to 16GB. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Thank you for your instruction!

I'm using 13" MacBook Pro (mid-2012) which is the same as psitsolution's. I've upgraded my RAM to 16GB(8GB*2), and it worked, until the day before yesterday. My screen turned unnormal first, and the MacBook shut down itself soon with a DO-DO-DO sound. I restarted it after several times attempt but it shut down again. 

Everything goes well after I downgrade RAM to 8GB or 4GB. I also tried 10GB(8GB + 2GB), but it doesn't work.

I'm wondering what's wrong, is it caused by the memory?

Kilobyte Kid

Hello,

I also bought 16gb ram crucial CT8G3S160BMCEUfor macbook pro i5 2012 and it cant boot. It only works with 10gb ram, the one 8gb crucial + 2gb ram of the manufacturer. Please helpppp.....

JEDEC Jedi

@sottsiougkos  Remove all of the memory and install just one new stick.  See if it works.  Then move that stick to the other slot & verify it works.  Now that you verified the first new stick is good and both slots are working, install the 2nd new stick in the laptop & test.  Once you have verified each stick of RAM is good and each slot is good, proceed to the following steps.  Make sure the battery & power adapter are both disconnected each time you make a change.

The latches for the memory slots on these laptops is very fragile plastic and they are tied together, so make sure the latches are locking both memory modules in place.  You should see just a little triangular bit of black plastic just extending over the edge of the memory module on each side.  This very small triangular protrusion on each side can sometimes be worn/damaged by installing and removing memory.   Sometimes installing the second module will cause the first module to become unlocked since the locking latches are linked together.  With the power adapter & battery disconnected, use a non-metalic item such as a toothpick to very carefully press on the edge of the first (lower & hidden) module to make sure it is locked in place.  Make sure not to touch any of the components while pressing the toothpick since those very small components can be easily damaged especially if the toothpick slips.

I've also see where the one slot becomes damaged over time probably from something pressing on the bottom case.   Try reseating the memory again to make sure it is fully inserted into both slots and both modules are locked.  Many times you can see if the slot is bad by option booting the laptop and leaving it at the Boot Picker screen (make sure the laptop is on a non-conductive surface while the Bottom Case is off and the laptop is connected to AC or battery).  Using just the power adapter makes for easier testing.  Then while the laptop is on its side, press on the black plastic base of the memory slot.  If the memory is loose or the slot is broken, then most times you will see the video on the display flicker, distort with random lines or dots or freeze the cursor.  Releasing pressue may sometimes restore functionality, but most times the MBP needs power cycled.   I usually press my thumb against the plastic and reach my fingers around the edge of the palmrest.  I also try to use my other hand to steady the laptop as well.   You can also very gently (very slightly) press on the memory.  If you don't get the previously mentioned symptoms, then the slot is probably fine.   Just be careful not to touch any of the electronics on the boards.  Out of the two slots, the one closest to the Bottom Case is the one I finds has problems.  If you find this is the case, then you will be restricted to using just the one slot or getting the Logic Board repaired.

Kilobyte Kid

When i insert the rams separately the laptop cant boot. The white light just turns on. When i have the factory one with an 8gb crucial it works great. If i try to remove the manufacturer's memory when my macbook pro is in use, it just ffreeze and the monitor showes colours in lines...

Kilobyte Kid

Also, 3 beeps noise during booting with 8gb ram only on my laptop

JEDEC Jedi

Don't remove or insert memory while the battery or power adapter is connected or you can damage the memory & the Logic Board.  If you did do this then one or both parts may be damaged.

Did you try one new stick memory by itself each slot while leaving the other slot empty?  Does it beep when a single new module is in the first slot?  The second slot?   Did you then try the other new stick by itself in the same manner?  This is very important in order to find out if one stick of memory is bad or if one of the slots may be bad.

When you have one new 8GB module & one original 2GB module installed do you see 10GB listed in "About this Mac" or "Apple System Profiler"?