ASUS Q501LA Not showing 8GB upgrade

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

ASUS Q501LA Not showing 8GB upgrade

My wife's laptop (ASUS Q501LA) was originally only showing 4GB of ram using a scan on the intel site, Crucial and CPUID. Same result by right clicking "this PC" and going to properties. I thought that this was strange since I was pretty sure it had 6GB total long ago when we bought it. For the record, it has windows 10 home but came with Win 8 with a free upgrade to 10.  Anyways, I originally opened her computer to swap out her wifi card when I noticed it only had a 2GB stick of ram in the memory slot. Got the 8GB stick upgrade info from Crucial, it came in the mail today, and now it's intalled. Problem is that everything still shows only 4GB total, including The Crucial scanner. Am I missing something?? I'm wondering if the only memory it has been showing all along is only the on-board memory (which I believe should be 4GB). Was I suppose to reset something or change a setting? the memory I bought was CT 102464BF160B DDR3L-1600 SODIMM. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

The UEFI shows  4096 MB for Memory

Mark

3 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: ASUS Q501LA Not showing 8GB upgrade

Since it appears the original 2GB RAM in the slot was not showing up before the upgrade it would appear that memory slot may be bad since the new RAM is also not showing up.   Try resetting the BIOS to defaults.  Also make sure your laptop's firmware is up to date. 

If the above doesn't help, then you could try removing the battery & internal CMOS battery & the power adapter for a few minutes to drain all electricity from the system (I like to press the power button too).   Perhaps removing all sources of power will reset the laptop.  It is a longshot.  For some laptops this is a very difficult process and you may damage the plastic latches holding the cases together.

Check the memory slot for damage and see if the latches on both sides of the RAM are holding it in place.

If these options don't help, then you may need to have the laptop's motherboard replaced.  Even if these steps work, it may only be a temporary fix depending on what caused the situation in the first place.

Kilobyte Kid

OK, Thanks. I'll give those a try and cross my fingers.

Kilobyte Kid

Well, I pulled the memory and reinstalled it ensuring it was firmly seated and I removed the CMOS battery for a few minutes. And, it seems to have done the trick. I'm not sure which did it but all the ram shows up now and the difference in speed is amazing. I'm not sure why it wasn't seeing the original 2GB stick so I'm hoping this isn't temporary. Going from 4GB to 12GB is one heck of an improvement. Thanks for the suggestions HWTech.

Mark