Alienware 17 R3 beeping after installing new RAM

Kilobyte Kid

Alienware 17 R3 beeping after installing new RAM

I have an Alienware 17 R3 and decided to upgrade the 16GB RAM to the Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4-2400 SODIMM. It is listed as a compatible upgrade on the website. The first thing I did was update my BIOS to Alienware 1.6.1, after installation of both sticks I received 4 beeps on boot up. I then started to tinker with it and found that mixing one of my old 8GB stick with the Ballistix 16GB will start the pc normally with no beeps and gives me 24GB RAM. I need help figuring out how to make both Ballistix to work when installed together. Please give me a hand.

5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Alienware 17 R3 beeping after installing new RAM

Just to confirm that both 16GB sticks work individually with your original RAM?   Does each new 16GB module work by itself without your original RAM?

Have you installed one of the new 16GB modules in each of the slots by itself to verify each slot works with the new 16GB module?  If it won't work without your original RAM, then swap the memory with the two slots to make sure both slots work with the 16GB module.

I found this Dell article for resetting the BIOS which seems to apply to your situation.  It does not mention it, but you should unplug the system as well as disconnecting the battery before you remove the RAM.

Kilobyte Kid

If I install just one of the new 16GB sticks and leave the other slot empty it will not start and I get 4 beeps, this applies to both 16GB sticks in both slots. I have also seen the article you attached but it did not help.

Kilobyte Kid

I have decided it might just be a bad ram stick and will return it for a new one. Thank you
Kilobyte Kid

I have received the new ram but the same thing is happening. I don’t know what to do now.
Highlighted
JEDEC Jedi

Does the BIOS have any configuration options for memory?  Make sure they are set to Auto.   In the BIOS you can also try Resetting to Defaults.   

Did you purchase the RAM directly from Crucial or a reputable vendor?

I would suggest contacting Crucial Support directly to resolve this issue.