Asus k55vd Memory Upgrade

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Asus k55vd Memory Upgrade

Hi everybody,

So... I want to upgrade my Asus k55vd memory. Here are the specs from Asus. It came with 6 gb RAM, and says it's upgradable to 8 GB. However, I have run the Crucial Scan tool, and the output:

CrucialScanSpecs

says that the maximum upgradable RAM is 16 GB. SWEET! 

I have also run Piriform Speccy, here is the summary output: 

pirispecs.png

I did not know I had 4 slots.  Last time I looked under the hood, it was only 2. Maybe I didn't look hard enough. After I post this, I'm going to look again. 

So the question, who and what do I believe? Can I upgrade to 16 GB? Is this a BIOS update thing? 

Thank you very much!

6 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Asus k55vd Memory Upgrade

Hi tweezy,

Thanks for contacting us today. I pulled up your system specs and I only show you have two slots, but a max of 16GB. We have sold quite a few 8GB modules for this system with a very low percent rate. We can guarantee that the memory will work in your system. I am unsure why that other tool is saying you have 4 slots. That seems unusual.

I don't see a BIOS update being needed, but your system is a few years old so you may want to check on that anyway... Since the system is a couple years old that might be why you show an 8GB max from ASUS. They don't go through and update manuals as new parts come out. 8GB modules haven't been available that long, and when they do become available we do extensive testing on our end in order to guarantee the compatibility.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Awesome! Thank you very much!
Kilobyte Kid

@Tweezy: Could you tell me how the RAM-upgrade to 16GB went? Did you notice the upgrade in the systemperformance?

Kilobyte Kid

@tweezy: Could you tell how the upgrade went? Is the performance boost noticable? I want to do the same to my K55VD-SX071H.

Kilobyte Kid

Haven’t done it yet #lazy
But seeing this has reminded me I should! 😂
Kilobyte Kid

Nice Smiley Happy

I'm going to upgrade to 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM.... My laptop is still functioning well after 5 years. Why waist the good hardware. New laptops with 1 TB SSD and 16GB RAM are quite expensive here in the Netherlands. I could use the old harddrive for a NAS, even the old RAM I guess, if the mainboard accepts SO-DIMM.

#lazy.... I can now afford it, so why wait. Smiley Wink