BIOS seeing some memory which Windows does not

Kilobyte Kid

BIOS seeing some memory which Windows does not

I have an unusual problem, my BIOS is seeing some memory which Windows does not.

My PC has an Asus A88XM-A Motherboard, populated with

Slot 1     Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8 Gb  1333MHZ (BG112W8.77  BLT8G3D1608DT2TXOB.16FEDB)
Slot 2     Corsair Vengeance LP 4G 1333MHZ (CML4GX3MIA1600C9)
Slot 3     Ballistix Sport 4 Gb  1600MHZ (BG112SZ.HD  BLS4G3D169SIJ/8FND)
Slot 4     Empty

The BIOS sees all the three sticks (although it does say that Total Memory is 12288MB at 1333MHZ). Windows however reports on 12Gb of Memory.

Crucial Scanner also reports just 12Gb of Memory, adding that slots 3 & 4 are empty. See http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/scanview/5EAA18A631D926C3.

If I swop slots 2 & 3 around, then BIOS still sees three sticks and Windows still reports only 12Gb of memory. Thats suggests that the memory sticks are all functioning correctly. It also points to slot 3 being faulty. But if it is faulty, why would the BIOS report correctly when slot 3 is occupied (even thought it appears  not to regard it as active)

I want to buy another 4Gb (all my budget can justify at the moment) to bring it up to 20 Gb, but I'm reluctant to do so until I resolve this issue.

Can anyone suggest anything to help solve the problem.
5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: BIOS seeing some memory which Windows does not

Check your BIOS/UEFI memory settings and disable Interleave Mode  or Dual Channel modes if available.

Try moving the 4GB stick from slot #3 to slot #4 to make a paired bank.  If this does not work, then install the 4GB sticks in slot #1 & #3 and put the 8GB module in slot 2.   I'm assuming slots 1 & 3 are considered one bank and slots 2 & 4 are another bank.  If my assumption is incorrect then adjust so the two 4GB sticks are using a single bank.   Are there any other memory settings in the BIOS/UEFI settings that might affect it?  Have you tried setting all memory settings to Auto or Defaults?  Perhaps try resetting BIOS/UEFI settings to Defaults or Optimal Defaults.

Also try each 4GB stick by itself.   It's possible one of them is bad.

Kilobyte Kid

Thanks very much. I'll try these now

Kilobyte Kid

I've tried all suggestions, with no luck.

I cannot see any reference to Interleave or Dual Channel in Uefi.

I then tried

Move 4gb from 3 to 4
4gb in 1 & 3 and 8Gb in 2
4gb in 1 & 2 and 8Gb in 3
In each case, UEFI showed 3 slots full, but total memory only 12 GB. Windows also reported 12 GB.

4gb in 1 & 2, 3 & 4 empty
Windows showed 8gb available

I then tried each memory stick in slot 1 on its own. In all three cases Windows 10 started  correctly and showed the correct memory (Incidentally I am using Win 64).

I cannot see any reference to any other DRAM seetting other than DOCP which is disabled.

I cannot find a defaults setting, but I have tried Optimal defaults.

It looks as if the chanels are 1 & 2, & 3 & 4. Not sure I fully understand the rest of the manual commentsCrucial 1a.jpg

Crucial 2 edit.jpg

Crucial 4.jpgCrucial 5.jpg
JEDEC Jedi

Is your motherboard firmware up to date?

If so then at this point I think you have a compatibility issue between the RAM, however, I don't know which one.  My guess would be either the 8GB stick or the Corsair module is causing the issue.  I'm not saying either one is actually bad, just incompatible in some way when installed together.  Maybe a Crucial representative can check on the technical details of the 8GB stick to see if it could be interfering with the 4GB sticks.

Highlighted
Crucial Employee

Hello,

Thank you for purchasing the Crucial products and your question. I’m sorry to hear that had difficulties with Crucial memory purchase. There is most likely a compatibilty issue causing the 8GB stick to only use 4GB. I would advised you to try the 8GB module with the Ballistix 4GB and the try the Cosair 4GB with and note the results. 

Crucial_AgentC, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?