Beeping noises after installing new RAM?

SOLVED
Kilobyte Kid

Beeping noises after installing new RAM?

Hi I am new to all this stuff about modifying computers but got fed up of only having 2GB RAM so decided to buy 1GB more, I didn't really know what to buy so used the crucialUKScan program and it recommended this, ; http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?IMODULE=CT12864AA667

So when I put it into my computer and tried booting it up it made a few beeping noises and didn't boot up. I made sure I put it in firmly and it clicked it into position, although I can't help notice it is slightly taller than the other ones installed. I removed the new RAM and the computer works fine, so it's defineatly a problem with the RAM. I think I put it in the right way as the paper stickers of all the RAM modules where facing the same way, is the RAM not compatible? Or am I doing this wrong?

My computer is an E521 Dell Dimension with windows vista.

Help please Smiley Sad

Tags (1)
20 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Beeping noises after installing new RAM?

Ok I have a feeling crucial sent me the wrong part? I checked my order history and it shows they recommended me http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=E37B2E1EA5CA7304 and that is the one I ordered but they delivered me http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.aspx?imodule=CT12864AA667.

Are they the same thing Smiley Indifferent? They seem to have the same specs only different part numbers.

Memory Hawg

Those are the same, the one number is just tied to your Dell system is all.

You may not be able to mix the new memory with your old memory.   Is your old 2GB 2x1GB or a single stick?  Papaer stickers may not be on the same sides of the memory, so don't base your instalation on that.   Please look at the keyed slot on the "Gold Fingered" part of the memory, the part you are inserting, and be sure it lines up with the raised plastic notch inside the memory slot.   Memory can only really be installed in one way, so if you got it to click down and both sides latched it was probably in correctly, but best to check it all out to be sure.

You may just need to update the BIOS, so if you have not then try that now and see if it helps.   If it does not, then try the new stick by itself to be sure it's working, remove your old memory and put only the new memory into the same slot as the old one closest to the CPU.

Kilobyte Kid

My old memory is 2x1GB, so I was just hoping to upgrade to 3x1GB. Yeah it did click in properly so i'm assuming the part is faulty tbh. I checked the RAM already installed and everything is the same as what I baught apart from RAM frequency, it's like PC2-4300 and 266mhz, does it matter if they don't match?

Also how do I update my BIOS? Would dells website have the update?

Kilobyte Kid

Okkkkkk guys good news, I tried a few more times today and it worked! I think I was putting the RAM in wrong as I was pushing the left side in first then the right side, but this time I just used all my force to push it all in at once and BAM it works!!! I thaught I may have broken it too lol

Hopefully there are no problems but if there are I will create another thread. You can close this one Smiley Happy

Memory Hawg

Nice to hear you got it fully installed and it's working now!!   Sometimes memory can be tricky to install if you are unsure, and some boards take a LOT of pressure to get it in there correctly, so it can seem scary sometimes and cause people to not get the memory installed fully.

Glad to hear you got it working now!  Post back anytime!

Kilobyte Kid

Same thing! I have tried every configuration of installing the cards known to man kind. Bought two pair of 1 GB. 4 total. Old memory gone! My CPU only recognizes 1 pair. Either in slot 1,3 or 2,4. swapped pairs in both slots.. etc, etc.I have a dimension 4700 with BIOS A10. Removed the battery that didn't work. You name it I've done it. Please help.

Memory Hawg

Did you load optimized defaults after the BIOS update?  If not try that now.

Where are you seeing only 2GB?   Just checking, I know some users might only get 2GB or a little more, with 4GB installed due to 32 bit OS, so just asked to be sure of exactly what you meant.

What is the full CT part number printed on the stickers of the memory you have?

Kilobyte Kid

No BIOS update, that was the version it came with. Not sure how to update if I need to and I haven't loaded optimized defaults, not sure how that works either. 2GB in the setup menu. Only have 2 cards installed. With 4 it won't even boot up. CT12864AA667.M16FG.

Memory Hawg

Well start by loading optimized defaults in the BIOS, that may help.   If you are using RAID hard drives you will need to renter the BIOS before windows and set RAID again after you load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot.  To set optimized defaults in the BIOS, on the MAIN page of the BIOS you should see an optimized option, select it and reboot.  If you do not see this option you'll have to wait until I know what system or motherboard you have and then I can look it up for you.

What motherboard are you using, or what is the system model name if you have an OEM computer such as a Dell or HP.