Computer will restart if graphics on games are all the way up

Highlighted
Bit Baby

Computer will restart if graphics on games are all the way up

My computer works fine most of the time but when I play a game that are graphic intense my computer will restart. If I play WoW full graphic the computer restarts after a few min, if the game is on low graphics then it runs fine. Same with Minecraft, PuBG, Showbox ect. The recommended settings from my computer want me to have the graphics up a lot more then low. I previously ran a program monitoring PC temps of graphics card and processor and the temps never really changed much.

Computer runs windows 10 64.

PC parts are -

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - MasterLiquid 240 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus - MAXIMUS VIII RANGER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB Turbo OC Video Card

Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Lite 5 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Diablotek - 850 W ATX Power Supply

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Monitor: AOC - e2752Vh 27.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor

Keyboard: Cooler Master - CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse

Any clue what the issue is?

1 Reply
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Computer will restart if graphics on games are all the way up

I'm not sure why you are posting on the Crucial forums when you are not using any Crucial products.

I would first suspect your GPU.  Turning up the graphics detail would mostly have an effect on the GPU.   Try running GPUTest or a Unigine demo and monitor the GPU temps.  I'm not a Windows user so I'm not familiar with any good tests which focus primarily on the GPU and leaves the CPU & memory untouched.

You can also perform a memory test with Memtest86.  Create a bootable USB drive using Etcher.   By default Memtest86 only runs for four loops, but this can be extended in the test options (at the bottom of the list).    If I really suspect a memory issue, I will let the test run for days at a time.

A good system stress test is Prime95.   Prime95 can stress the whole system and you can focus the tests from mostly CPU, to mostly memory, to a mix of both.   The torture test mode provided by Prime95 will uncover system stability issues from the CPU, memory, motherboard, cooling and power supply.  Make sure to monitor your system temperatures.

You may want to check on the health of the hard drive and even the SSD using GSmartControl.

Other things to consider:

Disable any overclocking/underclocking of CPU and GPU.

Use default (auto) memory settings.

Make sure motherboard, SSD, GPU firmwares are all up to date.

Use the latest drivers provided by ASUS and NVidia.

Windows used to include an option where you could log system performance of various attributes.  I don't recall how to access these advanced peformance monitoring tools or whether they are still provided by Windows 10.  These advanced Windows monitoring tools would allow you to configure the monitoring & logging of very specific attributes & condtions beyond the normal system monitoring that is presented by default in Windows.