Dell Latitude D630

Kilobyte Kid

Dell Latitude D630

So, I purchased 8GB of RAM to try to extend my Dell Latitude D630 laptop's life a bit.  So far I've had no luck with the installation, though.

When I initially installed the RAM the computer would not boot at all: it hung on the BIOS splash screen.  I re-installed the original RAM and it booted, informing me that the amount of memory had changed.

So, I went through an internet safari to find and install a BIOS update via Windows 7 (which was successful).  I then re-installed the new RAM and the laptop would then go further into the boot process (there is an ASCII "progress bar") to about 90% on the initial boot screen but no further.  It took about an hour for it to boot that far before hanging up.  It gives me the option to enter the Settings but won't actually load it.

I'm assuming that it just won't handle 8GB and I should return/exchange for 4GB...   Unless you have some wisdom to inject?

6 Replies
Kilobyte Kid

Re: Dell Latitude D630

I had the exact same problem on the 8Gb I just received today for my D630.  You need to download the Bios Version A13 at a minimum as this is the one that included support for 8GB. 

I found the answer here: 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithcombs/archive/2008/08/27/dell-latitude-d630-owners-get-8gb-memory-su...

Note that I chose not to download the newest BIOS, I just chose the one that updated the BIOS to support 8GB.

It took a LONG time for the first boot and was especially slow at the last 10%, but after it booted and I shut down, the 2nd full boot was actually 10x faster than before the memory upgrade.

I'm assuming you have 64-bit Windows 7 as i think the max memory supported on 32-bit is 4GB.

Good luck

Kilobyte Kid

I tried the A13 version first, which didn't work, then A17 & A16 versions.  None of these worked.  I keep getting the error "Unsupported Memory".

I'm wondering if I received the wrong DIMMs.  The CT number on the chip is not the same as that listed by the Crucial system scanner...but I don't know if that's significant or not.

Kilobyte Kid

I guess it would be a problem if you don't have the correct memory chips...  I bought the ones Crucial said would work with the D630, and for me  they worked ok with the A13 BIOS...  Good luck sorting out your issue.

Highlighted
Mo Betta Heat Spreada

Hello,

Please provide the CT number printed on the modules, and I will double check that they are the correct part.

Next, for troubleshooting, have you tested the new memory 1 at a time to see if there is an issue with just one of the modules?  Basically we are looking to see if one works and the other doesn't.

Dude, Crucial Employee, US
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Bit Baby

Hey there Jonboy74, how much of the 8 Gb of ram actually shows up in the OS once you've boot in? Cheers james
Memory Hawg