Dell Precision 7710 RAM Upgrade Failed - 2400MHz Too Fast?

Highlighted
Kilobyte Kid

Dell Precision 7710 RAM Upgrade Failed - 2400MHz Too Fast?

Hi, folks.

I own a Dell Precision Workstation (laptop) that has 4 memory slots (2 x 2). It is expandable to 64 GB of RAM. According to the Crucial Website and Crucial Scanner tool, I can install 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2400MHz.

It came with two slots (A, B) filled with (16GB x 2) running 2133MHz memory (according to the BIOS, which I recently updated). I want to add another 32GB of RAM.

PROBLEM: I bought 32GB (2 x 16) 2400MHz RAM (CT2K16G4SFD824A). However, when I installed it in slots C and D, my machine would not start. Instead, I get 5 flashing white lights followed by two flashing amber lights.

When I shopped other websites selling the older Crucial 2133MHz RAM, they suggested that the Crucial 2133MHz memory is being replaced with the newer 2400MHz Crucial product. I assumed that the 2400MHz memory would step back to 2133MHz speed to maintain compatibility.

What's the correct way to upgrade my RAM to 64GB? Can I mix RAM speeds? Should I exchange my new 2400MHz RAM for 2133MHz so they are all the same speed? Run four sticks of 2400MHz (ouch)? Something else?

Thank you for any advice!

3 Replies
Community Manager

Re: Dell Precision 7710 RAM Upgrade Failed - 2400MHz Too Fast?

@corkwatchr  I am sorry to hear you've had issues with your RAM. 

Does the computer work fine if you reinstall your old modules? If it does, please try both the new modules one at a time in both slots to check if it's a particular module that is perhaps causing the issue. 

If you you determine it's one memory module or you are still experiencing issues, please contact us directly using the information in my signature. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Kilobyte Kid

Hi, YogiH.

Thanks for replying.

Since there are four slots, I left the two original 2133MHz memory cards alone, which are located under the keyboard (A & B).

I only added the two new 2400MHz memory cards to the two free slots located on the bottom of the laptop (C & D).

I didn't think there could be anything wrong with the new cards. A stick could be bad but I have faith in Crucial memory. Smiley Happy

To be clear - is it possible to use 2133MHz (A & B) and 2400 MHz (C & D) on this laptop?

Does my Dell Precision Workstation 7710 laptop support DDR4-2400MHz memory?

Thank you in advance.

Kilobyte Kid

I'm going to exchange the 2400MHz memory for the older 2133MHz.
The Crucial Scanner tool and Crucial online guide is wrong for Dell 7710 (and 7510, I suspect).
Best wishes and good luck to all.