Does number of pins matter?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Bit Baby

Does number of pins matter?

I want to add 4Gb of RAM to the existing 4Gb I have on my Acer 5749 laptop. The Crucial diagnostic tool recommends two compatible products:

CT5491719          CT51264BF160BJ

CT9176113           CT51264BF160B

Apart from a small price difference, the two products appear to have identical specs except that the BJ version has 204 pins, while for the B model this is given as N/A.

I don't know if this is important - which should I use?

1 Reply
Community Manager

Re: Does number of pins matter?

@Gazzabear Thanks for contacting us. I would be happy to clarify this for you. Both of these memory modules have 204 pins, as do all DDR3 SODIMM memory modules. The pin count is important to the memory fitting into your system.  The difference in specifications between these parts is the density. The CT51264BF160BJ is a higher density part and only has 8 little black chips on one side, and CT51264BF160B is low density with 16 little black chips total. More info on density can be found here. Your system appears to be compatible with either high or low density memory, so I would just purchase the lower priced memory if there is a price difference. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. 

YogiH, Crucial Moderator, US

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?