Fake Crucial RAM?

Bit Baby

Fake Crucial RAM?

I picked up a refurbished Lenovo X230 Tablet recently and decided to grab another 4Gb stick of memory for it. Went to the local Fry's and bought a Crucial stick with model number CT51264BF160B on the box. You could see the SO-DIMM in the box, and it had a Crucial sticker on it. (Buying at Fry's is a mess-- the clerk came back with my order and thought I had bought a two-DIMM set of Patriot RAM, which is clearly not what I wanted, let alone what I was paying for)

When I pulled it out of the packaging, there was the Crucial sticker on one side, and another sticker for Pacific Sun Memory on the other. I was under the impression that Pacific Sun is their cheap-range RAM, but perhaps it's just an intermediary supplier that Fry's sources Crucial stuff from. Their website sucks and provides no convincing proof of that.

Loading up CPU-Z shows a SPD tab with no vendor info and a serial number of FFFFFFFF, which seems a little weird for name-brand RAM.

Anyone using that module know if this sounds sketchy?

Tags (1)
5 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: Fake Crucial RAM?

Crucial usually uses Micron chips for their memory, but will sometimes use chips from another major supplier.  I would never expect to see any low quality or off brand chips on Crucial memory modules.  In nearly 20 years of using Crucial RAM, I've only ever encountered a few instances where third party chips were used.

While a Crucial representative may respond to these requests on the forums, it can some times be a while before they respond.   For a quicker response I would suggest contacting Crucial support directly using the link in my signature.

Crucial Employee

Thank you for purchasing the Crucial memory products and your review. If you could provide us with pictures of both sides of the memory and the packaging that the memory came in. This way we can take a look at the poduct and let you know if these are Crucial products or not. 

Crucial_AgentC, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

Hey!
I've also recently bought some Crucial RAM that im unsure about. I purchased two 8gb pieces off eBay not long ago aswell as a new SSD to replace the broken HDD inside. All has worked well with my computer and havent noticed any real issues other than when i look at the memory storage in the 'About This Mac' tab, it only shows one 8gb slot being used. i opened the mac up again and swapped the RAM parts around and restarted my mac to see if i just hadnt installed one of them correctly. One 8gb slot was still only being used but this time it said the other slot was the one that was working. From this im assuming one of the 8gb RAM is incompatible with my computer. Do you think theyre cheap ebay versions or just a fluke that one of them is faulty? i run some audio programs and could really use the extra 8gb!

Bit Baby

Hey!
I've also recently bought some Crucial RAM that im unsure about. I purchased two 8gb pieces off eBay not long ago aswell as a new SSD to replace the broken HDD inside. All has worked well with my computer and havent noticed any real issues other than when i look at the memory storage in the 'About This Mac' tab, it only shows one 8gb slot being used. i opened the mac up again and swapped the RAM parts around and restarted my mac to see if i just hadnt installed one of them correctly. One 8gb slot was still only being used but this time it said the other slot was the one that was working. From this im assuming one of the 8gb RAM is incompatible with my computer. Do you think theyre cheap ebay versions or just a fluke that one of them is faulty? i run some audio programs and could really use the extra 8gb!

Tags (1)
Crucial Employee

@anguscrook just based off the description of your issue, it sounds like one of the modules you purchased was bad. I would install only one module in the system at a time to verify this.

In regards to verifying the memory, this questioned has been asked multiple times on this form, and the answer always remains the same. Any time you purchase memory from eBay there is no way to guarantee you're getting a genuine Crucial product, and your product will have no Crucial limited lifetime warranty when purchased from the site.

The cost savings for purchasing parts off ebay are typically pretty small compared to buying from a reputable reseller like: Newegg, Amazon, Microcenter, etc, or off of Crucial.com. So if you are within your return period I would return the parts for a refund, then purchase new memory from a reseller or our website, where you can have confidence in the product, and a warranty to back it up.

Crucial_Benny, Micron CPG Support, US

How do I know what memory to buy?
Shop for your region: US | UK | EU | France |
I think my memory is bad. What do I do now?
FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?