Help understanding slots and what to buy.

Crucial Employee

Re: Help understanding slots and what to buy.

Hello Solitare,

Thank you for your message.  I have looked in to this further for you.  The good thing is the original memory you have installed is a Micron memory module.  Crucial are part of Micron so I was able to look up the part details of your existing memory.

The best part we recommend that would be perfect next to your existing memory can be found here: http://www.crucial.com/ProductDisplay?displayCompatibleLogo=1&urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10151&pr...

This is the same speed and type as the memory you have installed.  It will work perfectly together and take your system up to 16GB in total.  We also have a great guides and support section on our website here: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support

If you do have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Crucial_Junket, Crucial Moderator, UK

FAQs and Top Forum Solutions
We want your feedback! Post in the Suggestion Box
Did a user help you? Say thanks by giving Kudos!
Still need help? Contact Customer Service
Want to be a Super User?
Bit Baby

memory

Maximum Memory:16GB Standard Memory:4GB

removable Slots:2 (2 banks of 1)

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

[2GB] [Empty]

what does this mean...is second slot empty????

Bit Baby

@Crucial_YogiHwrote:

Hi snappyferguson,

Thank you for contacting us today. The 2 banks of 1 means that their are two slots in your system and each of them hold one module. You currently have 8GB installed 4GB in each slot. If you are needing 16GB you will need to remove all of the existing RAM and replace it with a 16GB kit (2x8GB of memory). Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

memory

• Maximum Memory:16GB
  • Standard Memory:4GB removable
  • Slots:2 (2 banks of 1)

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

[2GB]  [Empty]
What does this mean????
JEDEC Jedi

Without knowing specific details, it seems like the common default shipping configuration of your system from the factory was with 4GB (2x2GB).  If the posted information is the result of the Crucial System Scanner, then either the 2nd slot is empty or the 2nd memory module is not detected either due to a loose module, a defective module, or a defective slot.   The only way to confirm is by a visual inspection of both memory slots.