I am Looking to upgrade my memory.

Bit Baby

I am Looking to upgrade my memory.

Hello everyone,,

So i just got home i ran the scan, found:

Crucial 8GB DDR3-1866 UDIMM CT5008696
DDR3 PC3-14900 • CL=13 • Unbuffered
• NON-ECC • DDR3-1866 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64

I also opened up my Tower took a peak at what i Movies series world have currently installed (came with the PC) and this is what i found:

AD3U1600W8G11-B
DDR3 1600(11)8GX16 U-DIMM

Now im all messed up lol, First the one that the site has as compatible , the last numbers stick out at me "1024Meg x 64"

The one i currently have installed "8GX16" , admittedly i am not sure if this is an issue or not as im still learning all this.

Then i think back to my first post where i listed the Memory Specifications: DDR3 1066/1333/1600(OC) SDRAM (16GB MAX) 2 DDR3 DIMMS (240) 1.5 Support Dual Channel Mode.

So i took the above to mean 1066(low) 1333(high) 1600 (Over Clock), i was going with the 1333 since im not to familiar with OC, come to find out i already have a 1600 installed..

Just when i thought i had an understanding of this i feel lost again lol.:rofl:

My Mobo: MSI (Micro Star) 760GMA-P34 (FX).....

Plzzz help....

2 Replies
JEDEC Jedi

Re: I am Looking to upgrade my memory.

@RakeshJD wrote:

Hello everyone,,

Now im all messed up lol, First the one that the site has as compatible , the last numbers stick out at me "1024Meg x 64"

The one i currently have installed "8GX16" , admittedly i am not sure if this is an issue or not as im still learning all this.

Then i think back to my first post where i listed the Memory Specifications: DDR3 1066/1333/1600(OC) SDRAM (16GB MAX) 2 DDR3 DIMMS (240) 1.5 Support Dual Channel Mode.

The last numbers "1024Meg x 64"  and "8G x 16" are the size of the actual RAM chips on the memory module in bits.  Usually there are eight RAM chips on a side of a regular non-ECC DIMM.  IIRC each chip represents one bit, so it takes eight chips to represent a byte.  Again IIRC since it has been a while since I've had to do this,  you can get the size of the memory module by simple math:  1024Meg x 64=64G,  then 64G / 8 = 8GB.  You divide by 8 since there are 8 bits in a byte.  This article may explain things a bit better.

The different speeds listed in the motherboard specifications usually means the motherboard can support those two speeds  (1066 & 1333) without OC, but it may sometimes depend on the CPU as well (the motherboard manual should inform you if this is the case).  If you mix memory speeds, the system will run the memory at the speed of the slowest module though there may be some exceptions.  You can only utilize the 1600 speed at it is full potential while overclocking the system.  

Dual Channel mode means if you install identically sized modules in the same bank (same colored slots), it will provide a performance boost.  This might help explain a little better.

I usually put the largest module pairs in the first bank and move the smaller module pair to the second bank.

Now if the motherboard specifications list just 1066, but Crucial is only selling 1600 memory for the system, this just means the system can use the faster memory, but it will only run at the slower speed since that is as fast as the system can run.  There are limits to the speed of RAM you can run on a system as other unlisted memory specifications will affect compatibility.

Even I am not up on all of the new variations of memory & settings available on retail motherboards since I haven't built a system in years (hopefully soon).   I hope this helps a bit.

Bit Baby

Re: I am Looking to upgrade my memory.

On that build, I would say it's probably not worth it. Extra memory provides a performance boost ONLY IF you are running out of memory during your current tasks/gaming. Check your memory usage during your chosen task. If it is less than 7GB, adding more memory won't do any good. The good news is that graphics cards prices are falling right now, some models back close to msrp. So be patient and put that money towards your new build.

Bluestacks TextNow VPN